Utah Football Coaches

Viewing 4 reply threads

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

So I saw a post about the winningest football coaches for each of the Pac-12 Schools and I was curious to see how far Kyle Whittingham is from Ike Armstrong. 

Currently Kyle is at 111 wins as a headcoach which is 30 wins behind Ike Armstrong’s 141 wins. Kyle average wins is roughly 66% which would be 8.5 wins per season if you assume a bowl game (which is a fair expectation) and don’t take into account the drop in win % by moving to the Pac-12. So its reasonable to say that Kyle Whittingham has a pretty good shot at eclisping the all-time wins as a head coach at the University of utah within the next 4-6 Years.

I know Kyle has stated that after he won his 100th game that he likely would never reach Ike’s record. I guess my question is do you think Kyle will stay around for another 5 years or longer?

With all this said if Kyle does end up as the winningest coach of all-time at the University of Utah. The U needs to build a statue of him outside RES. No question.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

My favorite thing about Kyle is that he doesn’t skip leg day. 

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

Would have to double the bingham copper mine to get enough ore just for the calves of that statue. 

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

If I had to guess — and this is a complete guess with zero inside info — I think KW plans to see himself through the Tuttle era to see where it takes him.

It’s possible he has the best QB he’s ever had or that the U has ever had, and he’ll want to see how far he can ride that kind of talent with his already established defensive prowess. After that, I wouldn’t be surprised if he hangs it up unless he really has the program super nationally relevant by then, and then I could see him riding that wave for 2–3 more years just to enjoy it (because that’s the kind of momentum every coach dreams about developing).

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

He has turned down bigger jobs. His renewal included a desk job after retirement and other stuff. I don’t think he goes anywhere else.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

At this point I’m not so much worried he’ll accept another job at another institution, but that he will retire.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

I still see Kyle retiring around age 60-62 (2019-2021).  Perhaps he will stick around until the end of his contract (2023?).  He has said one of his own personal tragedies was seeing his father die so young, and that he wanted to spend some time enjoying life after football. 

FTR, Fred ‘Mad Dog’ Whittingham was 64 when he died during the 2003 season.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

dang… I didn’t realize his father was so young. That really sucks! I mean, it could have been worse, but that’s pretty darn early these days.

1 1

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

Have a hard time believing he would be hired as an NFL head coach and I really don’t see him wanting to go work for someone else.

1 1

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I would say there is a less than 1% chance of that happening. I think when he was younger, the NFL was an itch he wanted to scratch but at this point I think he is so invested in Utah football that his focus has shifted to getting Utah a Pac-12 Championship, Rose Bowl, and maybe even a national championship.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Nope and I know personally he won’t. It would have to be a super deal. As in play for a SUPER Bowl within two seasons. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah Football Coaches