Utah vs passing attack Per Joel Klatt via Twitter

Viewing 6 reply threads

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Thanks a lot. I had blocked that nightmare out of my mind…

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Yeah that one still haunts me, but maybe Utah needed a game like that to win a game like saturday.

Whitt admitted last year that he learned some things from that loss.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Like blitz the qb?

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

I actually believe blitzing too much will allow Jared Goff to shred our defense. He is a very intelligent, experience QB that is adept at getting the ball our quickly. Utah needs to be able to get pressure with their front 4 & occasional mix in some blitzes. Sending a guy like Hatfield or Butler-byrd from the corner, or Carter will keep him off balance.

Jared Goff has thrown 16 TDs & 0 INTS when blitzed. Just keep that in mind.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
      Ute Fan
      @mcastleton928

I agree. Blitzing from the linebacker spot against a QB like Goff is a recipe for disaster. Because he gets the ball out really fast, if you blitz, out leaves the middle of the field open for receivers all day long. A player like Goff would just expose that all day long.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

the most “play not to lose” game ever

Mano
      Ute Fan
      @mano

Against Wazzu, Utah quickly went up by 21 and then totally shut down the offense. If they would have kept their foot on the gas, they could have buried them. I remember thinking “one more touchdown and Wazzu will quit”, but Utah did nothing but run up the gut for the most part until it was too late and they had lost all their momentum. Judging by the Oregon game, I think Utah has learned the lesson that you have to go for the kill when it is there. At least I hope so.

oc_ute
        Ute Fan
        @ocute

in fairness to KW, he was fighting for his job last year IMO hence the conservatism and hey, for the most part it won a lot of games. however, the wazzu game was totally frustrating for sure. i also think KW has a little more leeway (in his own head) after last year and this year’s successes. i think the oregon game proved that he’s going to be a little less hesitant to sit on a lead. i think times have changed for the utes but there will still be a time or two where he goes conservative and we’ll be re-hashing this post again………..

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

Not just the offense. They shut down the defense too. They were hardly rushing anyone. If you give a decent QB all day to wait for someone to get open he will find someone, no matter how many people you drop back into coverage.

That game and 2013 ASU will eat me up forever.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I was at the WASU game. I don’t think they shut down the offense. They forgot how to execute on offense. Too many misses on 3rd down conversions. Dropped passes by wide open receivers. Passes to wide open receivers over thrown by 5 yards. Just endless execution problems on offense. On defense, they never really pressured Haliday. During money time, he converted on several 4th and long downs that killed Utah.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

Yes, they definitely fell apart on Offense. IIRC they never approached the Red Zone all game, and barely crossed beyond the 50 into WSU territory. Our scores were on a Pick 6, and PRTD, a 74 yd Booker run, and a ~40 yd FG.

I believe that was one of the games where the DBs would call out Scott’s plays before the ball was snapped (6 yd curl!), and then jumped the route.

MTM
          Ute Fan
          @mtm

I agree. I went back to the play by play and between the time we went up 14-0 to the WSU TD to make it 28-27 Utah ran 27 pass plays and 32 run plays.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I too was at that debacle. It was a slow bleed-to-death. We thought we had it in the bag. Lesson learned, I hope.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah vs passing attack Per Joel Klatt via Twitter