Utah vs USC 9/25

Viewing 9 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

There’s a ton of excitement about this year’s team with what seems to be all of the pieces in place to make a run at a conference title. IMO Game 4 against SC determines everything. If we finally win in the Coliseum and own the tie breaker against SC, I believe that gives our team all the confidence and momentum to win the South and another shot at a title. I realize we have ASU the next week and many are projecting the Sun Devils to be the team in the South this year. But I don’t see ASU finishing better than 6-3. That’s been the ceiling for Herm and I could see it happening again this year.
      If we lose the game at SC, our margin for error is super tight like it was in 2019. However, I definitely wouldn’t be as confident as I was in 2019 that we’d bounce back. The ASU game would then be a must-win game and if we lost both back to back, our shot at “special” season would be over IMO. But if we get the SC game, I think we could still stumble against ASU and come out on top in the South.
      I love that we are being projected middle of the pack right now by many. I’d like nothing more than for our guys to come out with a huge chip on their shoulders and destroy the Trojans. I’d like to say that we will know how good our team is this year before the SC game, but I see Whitt going fairly vanilla during the OOC schedule setting ourselves up to come out swinging in LA on 9/25. Thoughts?

5 1

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Thank you for this post, good info. I’m simply hoping to enjoy a full-season of college football, the highs and lows, the triumphs and the slip-ups, the pageantry and the controversy. Bring it on, NCAA, bring it on. 

3 7

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

And, USC is a stale p**s of a program, just like the city in which they reside. C**ky, frosted tips douchebags.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

He won’t go vanilla against any of the OOC opponents if it takes more to win the game, especially the Y.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I hear ya. I realize the rivalry game is often closer than it should be but I just don’t see the margin of victory being a 1 score game this year. We should dominate both lines of scrimmage. And assuming we do, I see us running the ball down their throats, getting up by a couple of scores, and sucking the life out of clock. Anything can happen and often does but that’s what I’m expecting.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Utah was pretty vanilla in 2019 rivalry game. It had some oddity to it but Utah came out after the delay and slammed the door shut with a momentum crushing long TD drive.

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

I think if there was ever a year to win based on USCs talent and coaching level, this is it….I’m still hesitant to say it’s because we are so good or talented because I have no idea what we have based on our small sample size

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

ASU might have to fire quite a bit of their staff soon as well. Most are concerned about having a job rather than winning games.
      I also think they might struggle getting new jobs. The extended dead period was for everyone’s safety if you remember. ASU hopefull gets nuked.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Seeing how slowly these scandals come to conclusion (aka Arizona MBB) I don’t think a firing would take place sooner than at the conclusion of this season, if that.

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

MD… I like your posts.  You’re an optimistic poster and I like that about you.  I’m kind of a one-game-at-a-time dude, but IF we can start out 4-0 (and I think we will), that USC game is going to have major implications.  That will establish supremacy in the South for the rest of the season with the loser essentially dropping two games behind the winner.  If we beat the Trojans it’s game on for the rest of the season.  I think Az State’s escapades will affect their season, and I think they’re going to suffer consequences before the season starts.  If what I’ve read is true, they have a LOT of proof from several sources and more if they want it.  There are no gimmies in the last half of the season (at Oregon State is a textbook trap game).  Oregon’s waiting for us in November… that could be the difference between a great and a special season.  Right now, I just want to be in Rice-Eccles to watch our Utes run out of our newly designed stadium so they can kick the hell out of a decent Weber team.  If we do get to 4-0 it’s going to be a brutally long two weeks for my nerves before we head to L.A…

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Speaking of the stadium, how’s it coming along? I’m not in Utah so I can’t drive by and look.

UteBacker
              Ute Fan
              @utebacker

I wish I could see it myself… I’m enjoying the nice cool summer in St. George.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

OSU is a good team no trap at all imo. Utah has zero gimmies next season sans OOC. Even ASU who I believe will suffer setbacks. The reason for middle of the PAC predictions isn’t an insult it is just a safer pick. USC doesn’t play Oregon or Washington.

dwainegf
              Ute Fan
              @dwainegf

The bulk of the work is done on the outside of the stadium. They need to apply whatever finish they have in mind to the exterior. The interior work is still ongoing and I suspect it won’t be done until right before the season. They moved the Olympic torch west of were it was and it looks finished. I was told that the food trucks that used to occupy the space south of the stadium will now be on the east side during games.

Central Coast Ute
                Ute Fan
                @flip2848

Thanks for the update. I would love it if we could light the Olympic Cauldron but I guess we can’t.

UteBacker
                Ute Fan
                @utebacker

About time for Tony to fire up that drone isn’t it?

Central Coast Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @flip2848

I’d say so.

Tony (admin)
                    Admin/Founder
                    @admin

Yeah next time I’m in the neighborhood I’ll get some new pics. 

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Thanks Backer, always appreciate reading yours as well! I’m just jealous of all of you who are able to attend the games in person at RES. Living on the east coast (Maryland) makes PAC 12 after dark take on a whole new meaning…but nothing I live for more than Ute football games!

UteBacker
              Ute Fan
              @utebacker

Well, if you’re ever able to make a game hit me up and I’ll give you a ticket or two… I’m right in the thick of the NEZ so you’ll want be sure to get your shots first.

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

Haha will do! Thanks Backer!!

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

There have been some damn good posts about Football lately. This one is no exception.

I hope we destroy USC for supremacy in the south of course, but more importantly because I’ve been talking a lot of s**t to USC fans on Twitter and I can’t afford to look like a dumbass more than I already do.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Too bad some whiners left the board a couple weeks ago because there wasn’t enough football talk. LOL

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I might be in the minority here but I don’t think ASU is going to be all that affected this year. I don’t see how it affects the players at all and the NCAA moves very slowly so I don’t think it will get to the coaches before this season starts. I also don’t see the NCAA doing anything during the season either.

That said, if you asked me today who wins that game, I’m going with the Utes. I’ve been very unimpressed with ASU’s O line. They brought in a couple new guys and they’re older and more experienced, but I don’t think they’re going to be so much more improved that Devin Lloyd and company won’t make things hard on Daniels. Although ASU has been better under Herm than I thought they would be, I can’t say they are killing it.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

I agree with this take. The announcement of the investigation happened early enough in the summer that by fall camp, they players won’t even have it on their minds. If anything, it might provide a common theme of “those bastards are out to get us” that could be useful if channeled properly. Add in the struggles ASU went through in 2020 and I think you’ll have a highly motivated team to start the season.

How they respond once they get punched in the mouth will be the telling storyline. After a slightly weaker OOC than Utah (is that possible?), they get Colorado, UCLA and Stanford so Utah will be their first true contender. The ASU schedule actually sets up very nicely for a title run so if they can start off well and avoid injuries, Utah could be in the conversation for hosting gameday (stupidest show on earth now that the Kardashians are done) against a top 10 opponent.

Sanders
        Ute Fan
        @sanders

If there is any national news about Arizona state’s football team getting any sanctions then their recruits are going to suffer big time and their current players except for the seniors may be looking for the transfer portal.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

When’s the last time Whitt didn’t go with a “vanilla” gameplan? Oregon 2015?

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

I went to the Colliseum in 2015, 17, 19.  Each time I thought, if we are ever going to win there, this is the year.   Each time I was optimistice. Each time we found ways to lose.  Very dispiriting.  Not going this year, maybe that will be the difference.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Curse is real. I don’t expect a win until I see it.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I was too in 17 and 19. I’ll be there again in 21. Hope this is the year.

homer
          Ute Fan
          @homer

We’ve been to 3-4 Coliseum games against $C. Wife refuses tongue back because she HATES the damn band and the way they play their 5 notes incessantly through a speaker system.

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

They do play it incessantly. And every time I hear it, I hear “this is the only song we know” as the syllables align perfectly with the notes. 

Northendzone Ute5
      Ute Fan
      @northendzoneute5

Will Kedon Slovis play like he did his freshman season or struggle like he did last year. USC will always have elite receivers. I think Charlie Brewer was a good pick up, but I think he will be a game manager type QB. Not trying to knock Brewer, just don’t think he will be elite.

2 1

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Whitt doesn’t need an elite QB. He’d take one in a heartbeat but after 17 seasons of proving that he can win big if he can get average QB play, it’s not a necessity. A game manager that doesn’t turn the ball over is the perfect fit for his play good D, grind the clock, limit possession style.

He’s such a throwback to the 1940’s that it’s sometimes hard to believe he was on Lavell’s teams. If there’s another coach outside of the service academy’s that would be just fine with every game ending up 3-0 with each team getting one possession in 60 minutes, I’m not aware of him.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah vs USC 9/25