Utah’s QB room

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg ranked the top 25 QB rooms in college football.  Utah ranks 14th.  I think that is about right.  Rising is a good fit for our Utes.  However, I don’t think of him as a top ten QB.

Utah ranks 14th

younglurch
      Ute Fan
      @younglurch

Completely agree that we are in good hands with Rising. Reigning 1st team PAC-12 QB for a reason. He made good decisions last year with the ball and had some surprising mobility. Even if he doesn’t improve much this next season (which I don’t expect), we still will be very potent offensively. 

The biggest question remaining for our QB room is depth behind Rising. Thankfully we have a blue chip guy in Nate Johnson and an athletic freak in Jackson. Brandon Rose also has the potential to develop nicely, and Bryson Barnes had his moment in the Rose Bowl. Any one of those guys could step up and be the successor, though I fully expect one or two to transfer out next year if they don’t like where they’re at on the depth chart. 

Spring ball will be interesting to see how the QBs stack up, but if we’ve learned anything from Charlie Brewer’s performance in the last spring game, don’t put too much stock in it! 

5 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

That’s higher than I would have expected. Rising is a top 15 qb in my book, but we have zero proven talent behind him, so I would think that would knock us down a ways. 

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Actually I feel that room is very well positioned to be compared to the best. We start with one of the few returning P5 all conference QBs. As a number 2 Barnes was capable of a late drive to tie the game against a top opponent. As a change of pace wildcat QB, I think Jackson holds as much promise as a similar backup in other top programs. As a true freshman, Johnson is the 16th best QB (247) in the class with time to grow into the position. All the boxes checked. Ohio State had an awesome team last year and one of the best QBs, but it was not a better QB room that was the reason they beat us.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Always good when your starting QB is already soldified during Spring Ball available to coach up the back-ups. Utah’s offense is going to be scary good.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I hope we have a replacement for Covey. His production and reliability will be missed.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah’s QB room