Viewing 4 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Dang…right before his first Masters.

Tony…think Tiger has a shot?  I assumed him dead in the water but he’s looked pretty good.  Stars would have to align though.

2 3

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Unpopular opinion Golf isn’t a sport it is a hobby. Proof see above dislocation while trotting not even really running but trotting. 

His knee looks jacked up to. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

How badass is it that he just popped it back in with his hand?

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Polynesians and the way he did it makes me think it was a previous injury he sustained.

i had a Tongan mission companion that popped his shoulder out playing Volleyball. He just popped it back in and continued playing. It bugged him for a long time afterwards. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Tell that to Tiger Woods or Rory McIlory. 

1 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Gladly I tell it to everyone when they talk golf I think it is a hobby. They are elite at a hobby. 

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

Not necessarily disagreeing, but what is your distinction between sport and hobby?

1 1

GameForAnyFuss
              Ute Fan
              @gameforanyfuss

I’ve always defined it as: If a person with average fitness can do it at an elite level, then it’s a hobby and not a sport.

FYI there’s nothing wrong with a favorite pastime being a hobby – I think many hobbies take quite a bit more talent and practice than sports, and are certainly as worthy or more worthy of our admiration than sports.

Stone
                Ute Fan
                @stone

I can see that. In other words, to deem it a sport, persons with elite physical fitness levels must have a major advantage over those that do not.

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

So baseball isn’t a sport? 

GameForAnyFuss
                  Ute Fan
                  @gameforanyfuss

Truthfully, I’m on the fence about that one. I see clear ways in which superior speed or strength would benefit an elite baseball player. That said, there are some pretty fat, out of shape dudes playing baseball at the highest level.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Yes it isn’t a sport. I will take the hit. 

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Could he repeat that shot over the next ten times? Fifteen? Fifty? 

I get that he has the worst shoes ever to run in but that is golf. You walk around(sometimes drive) and hit a ball. He shouldn’t be trotting around backwards since he plays a hobby better than I ever could.

Pool also a hobby I happen to be terrible at those hobbies as well. Doesn’t really play a part in my decision really. Mentally they are tough hobbies. 

Stone
                Ute Fan
                @stone

I don’t follow your reasoning. The question is how do you distinguish between sport and hobby? Are you suggesting it is a hobby because he cannot get a hole-in-one after another ten/fifteen/fifty attemps?

Again, not disagreeing with your premise, I think it is a fun topic, I am just curious how you make the distinction.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Largely a game of chance. Yes it requires some skill just like Bowling and pool. I would say pool and Bowling more of a sport because you can replicate results regularly.

You also need very little physical ability which I implied by the rolling of the ankle and GameForAnyFuss went over. 

I have a whole rant about it. Could a golfer play multiple sports? Baseball is getting to that point for me to. There are obviously freak athletes in baseball but majority of them couldn’t play Football, soccer or basketball professionally. 

Point of reference for you is I view rugby as the ultimate athletic sport. It combines so many abilities into one event that I just feel those are crazy athletes. Basketball is probably next for me. Legitimacy also comes into it how easily they could be rigged and stuff. Boxing and MMA have crazy athletes to but I just don’t see it as legitimate. 

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

I played a round with Tony about 10 years ago when he was just starting out and still with Callaway. Such a great guy. Hard not to feel sorry for him.

He has to have done this a few times already. He had an MRI this morning. No damage and was diagnosed with a high ankle sprain. He is planning on playing but would have to imagine this will have an affect on his swing. Hopefully he can play well.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

He is kicking ass don’t feel sorry for him.  

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Nice of Tiger Woods to be giving the TV audience a tour of the lovely scenery between the fairways at Augusta National. Is he the most stunning rags-to-riches-to-rags story in the history of sports?

BTW, here’s the funniest bit of comedy I’ve ever seen about golf:

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports Utah’s Tony Finau dislocated ankle at The Masters