Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

“or”

6 3

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Costelli. If Bentley and Rising was a “close” competition, that QB room needs improvement.

LetItRide
        Ute Fan
        @letitride

Whit stated before game 1 that The QB that will start definitely separated himself from the competition. Hence Rising.

Now with his shoulder injury and Costello coming in I’d say it’s wide open. Even Bentley who has looked decent at times ……mind you the horrific wide open misses…..is in the mix.

It’s too bad Rising didn’t at least get a game or two before the injury. Then we would have game info on both QBs on current roster and their pluses and minuses.

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

Calling it “close” was coach-speak.  If you read between the lines, the QB competition didn’t appear to be that close.  At the same time, they had an experienced guy transfer acrosss the country with the expectation to compete, then spring ball was cancelled.  They had to give him a few weeks to at least make his case.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

If it was close Costelli has a lot of hope at winning the starting role. Bentley has loads of issues. Be nice to see him behind a more intact and hardened Oline of course. 

6 1

therealu
      Ute Fan
      @therealu

A transfer QB not currently on the roster. 

By most accounts, Costelli is not ready to come in and start right away. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Of the guys on the roster, Rising. I reserve the right to change my pick if they bring in a transfer.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Hopefully Rising or I assume he transfers again. 

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

What if he’s not physically ready? A shoulder injury like that, even if he’s throwing in fall, could really affect his play.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Cam Rising is my prediction. I know he had the bad throw on the screen and the fumble on the sack but I firmly believe you’d be giddy about the future had he not been injured. Fully expect him to be ready by the Fall at 100%.

If his health doesn’t develop as hoped I LOVE Costelli and we WILL sign another QB this cycle that could make things very interesting. We will be just fine moving forward at the QB spot IMO. That doesn’t mean they’ll all produce but there have been quality options in that room for a handful of years now and I don’t expect that to change.

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

@OnlyU, any thoughts on today you can share? Surprises either way? 

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

I love this class. Tufuga, Jefferson, Calvert, Reynolds, etc. These guys are about as “can’t miss” as they come. I’m really excited about Costelli as well. If we are able to pull the couple of transfers we’re after (Ika, etc.) it’s a true top 20 class from a talent standpoint. Still some work to be done but we’ve already seen the young talent showing up from the last two classes and this one is theoretically better.

We’ve taken a step forward in the level of talent we’ve added these last 3 years. It should translate really well down the road minus injuries, etc.

I want to see the WR room match that improvement. It’s really the only area I feel like we have just “good” talent. Love the guys we have and think they’re gamers but if we can improve there after improving the LB room this year I love where we’re headed for 3-5 years.

Jake
            Ute Fan
            @jutahfootball

Can you comment on other transfers we’re looking at outside of Ika?

Crazyforu
            Ute Fan
            @crazyforu

Always appreciate it!

The level of talent is obvious at this point, I can’t wait to see what these coaches do with it over the next 2-4 years. Could really lay the framework for the post-Whitt era. 

KoolWhitt
            Ute Fan
            @koolwhitt

OnlyU, are you able to comment on whether or not we are still in play for Ceyair Wright?

You are awesome and we are all super grateful for your insight. Thank you!

Onlyu
              Ute Fan
              @uf8fl

Can’t quite comment on the potential transfers but we’ll be very happy if we land these guys…very happy. As far as Wright is concerned I would say even though he released his top 12 and we weren’t in it, there’s still a small chance. That said I don’t expect him to be a Ute.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Costelli not getting to play his senior year is a big disadvantage.  I hope the decision to come to Salt Lake early will benefit him.  But, he needs playing time.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

At most schools, Costelli would be at a disadvantage but not Utah. Rising has played ~ 10 snaps in 3 years and will be coming off an injury to his throwing shoulder. Bentley has played 4 games in the last 2 years and also has a season ending injury to his credit, albeit to his foot. Costelli played a full 2019 and has essentially been doing 6 months of the same kind of training that prospective pro QB’s do in preparation for the combine.

How Costelli reacts to getting hit in spring scrimmages will tell if he’s ready, but there couldn’t be a better opportunity in the country for a true freshman to come in and start on day 1. The only caveat being that the QB room could look very different by March.

Sanders
          Ute Fan
          @sanders

Our QB situation will be very attractive to portal transfers and I’d bet we’re reaching out in a big way.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

It also could be to our benefit. He may have been rated higher than a .9000 after a stellar senior season. I hope he’s the real deal.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

It might be best to compare Costelli to other QBs as of last summer.  Yes, he did not have a senior year of development, however, over time his ceiling may be higher than you expect as he makes progress thru practice.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utes 2021 starting quarterback.