Utes Lacrosse Launches Inaugural Season Tonight

Viewing 2 reply threads

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Pretty cool that the University decided to launch a varsity Lacrosse team, the furthwest program in the country.  They have their first game today against Vermont.  Anyone know if it will be streamed anywhere?

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

It will be on the Pac-12 Network. Not sure about other streaming options.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Apparently we also have a video game team.  The “student athletes” even got scholarships and everything.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

GTFOH

CincyUte
          Ute Fan
          @cincyute

Yup.  They did a “scrimmage” at the game last night during halftime.  Seriously–they showed the video game on the scoreboard above the court.  We actually sat and watched college kids play a video game for 10 minutes during halftime.  

Then after halftime, the Ducks came out and kicked our asses.  Overall, let’s just say it wasn’t an enjoyable evening.

McBride of Frankenstein
            Ute Fan
            @mcbrideoffrankenstein

I literally don’t understand.  They played a video game of basketball or of Lacrosse?  In the video game were the Utah Utes actually the team in the game?

CincyUte
              Ute Fan
              @cincyute

I don’t know what the video game was called, but it involved cars playing soccer.  The cars could fly too, I think.  And the ball was, like, five-times the size of the cars.  And the arena appeared to be in the future.  Yeah–the whole thing looked like it was in the future.  

Oh, and each goal was the size of an airplane hanger.

Anyway, they brought some tables and computers out onto midcourt at halftime and these kids start playing.  Two of them were the “white” team, and two of them were the “red” team.  So it was basically the Red-White scrimmage that the football team does in April–except it was the video game team, of course.

We all sat there like idiots for ten minutes watching these kids play their video game.  Meanwhile, two other students with microphones walked around the court doing what appeared to be some sort of play-by-play of the game. 

That’s pretty much it.  It was weird.

Staples
                Ute Fan
                @staples

The one announcer had a couple of pretty good lines, I thought he was entertaining at least. To quote a text I received from my brother: “That guy could play a young Jack Black in a movie about how Jack Black became a video game play-by-play guy.” Sadly, I would probably watch this movie.

I’ve never played the particular game they were playing (Rocket League) but I’ll admit to getting sucked in to watching for a few minutes when TBS has eSports on if it’s Counter Strike (similar to Call of Duty.) A couple of minutes of watching that and I understand fully why I stick to solo play instead of online play.

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

I will never understand this phenomenon of watching other people play video games. When I was a kid, my friends and I couldn’t stand watching someone else play. 

CincyUte
              Ute Fan
              @cincyute

I was the same way.  Even now, I can hardly watch movies that use tons of digital animation and CGI.  It feels like I’m watching someone play a video game.

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

We were the first team from a D-I school.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

I was wondering last night how there could be a first team.  Don”t you need at least 2 teams at the start?  Maybe one of the first…

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Other Ute Sports Utes Lacrosse Launches Inaugural Season Tonight