Wait, some people think having GA on staff is a bad idea?

Viewing 7 reply threads
      13 1

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

– Gary loves Utah. 

– He loves Utah football.

– He is an experienced coach.

– He is a defensive mastermind.

– He is a great recruiter and knows how to recruit to Utah.

And the list goes on and on.  I think some people are placing too much emphasis on the events surrounding his departure from Oregon State.  It obviously wasn’t the right place for him and it didn’t work out.  It happens.  I could understand the concern if we were hiring him as a head coach, but hiring him as an assistant is a homerun hire in every aspect.  All positives and no negatives.

2 6

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

Defensive master mind?  How so?  

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

Do you not remember the 2008 defense?  That was Gary’s creation.  He recruited and coached that roster and that was some of the best defense I’ve ever seen at Utah.  The fact that you are questioning his defensive competence is amazing.

Utah State’s defense was remarkably better after Gary arrived.  Wisconisn had great defense too.  Oregon State is an anomaly, but that roster was devoid of any talent when he arrived.

Ute Bc
          Ute Fan
          @utebc

Make no mistake about it. This has and always will Be Whitts defense

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

This times a million. GA and Sitake are proof that it truly his defense. The most improvement we saw was under Pease’s philosophy. 

This year under Scalley was great except all of the late drives given up for losses. 

2 1

UteFanatic
              Ute Fan
              @utefanatic

Sitake, yes.  Anderson, no.  Comparing Anderson to Sitake is like trying to compare Norm Chow to Ty Detmer.

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

Of course Kyle influences it, but if it were truly only his defense why is it so different under each coordinator?  Scalley’s defense was different than Pease’s defense, which was different than Sitake’s defense, which was different than Anderson’s defense.

Plus, Gary has developed proven defenses outside of Kyle’s tutelage.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Same logic that makes Sitake a great defensive coach. He was under Whitt. 

6 2

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

But Gary has developed good defenses outside of Whitt’s shadow (see Utah State and Wisconsin).

1 7

utahsportsguy
            Ute Fan
            @utahsportsguy

and failed miserably at Oregon State. And he didn’t leave Wisconsin on the best of terms. 

2 1

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Thanks PK.

5 1

UteFanatic
              Ute Fan
              @utefanatic

Plenty of great coaches experience failure (see Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkisian, Chip Kelly).  His failure at Oregon State is not reflective of him as a coach.  He had absolutely no talent to work with.

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

And why was that??? Why did he do well at USU Vs OSU. I think OSU is easier than Usu. So complete your thought why did he fail really badly at OSU?

4 1

UteFanatic
                  Ute Fan
                  @utefanatic

Your concerns about him failing as a head coach would be valid if we were hiring him as a head coach. We’re not, so his failures at OSU are irrelevant to him being a good assistant coach at Utah.

1 3

EagleMountainUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @battlegroundute

So let me get this straight none of his cons go against him because he isn’t a head coach for Utah. But his pros work towards your arguement of how stupid I am for not wanting him?   Ok got it now that I know how you all are working I will just shut up about the subject. 

UteFanatic
                      Ute Fan
                      @utefanatic

Hmm, I never called you stupid, not sure why you are being so defensive. 

I just don’t understand why you are against bringing on an experienced coach who also happens to be a Utah man through and through.  He is not coming on as a head coach – hell, he isn’t even coming on as a coordinator!

All I’m saying is there seems to be a lot of positives about bringing him on and not really any negatives.  Maybe I am just focusing on his pros, but conversely, you are just focusing on the cons. 

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

Yes agreed didn’t call me stupid. I just assumed that from your OP subject head. 

If I said Wait, some people believe the earth is flat? Pretty obvious what I mean. 

ladyinred
                      Ute Fan
                      @ladyinred

Staaahp. It’s ok to be the resident skeptic. Carry on. 

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

No it is pointless to argue when you choose to ignore facts. 

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

There are 11 negatives to be exact. 1 for each of the other pac 12 teams, meaning Utah becomes more of a threat with GA on staff.
      I understand the concerns about how he left Oregon state, and also about the dynamic with Scalley and the other coaches. But the way I look at it is this is like having two p5 head coaches instead of just one. Enjoy because it won’t last long.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

He is an admittedly failed head coach and better assistant. That’s what makes him appealing his NON HCing abilities. 

ladyinred
          Ute Fan
          @ladyinred

Sure he screwed up at Oregon state. But he will be a head coach again somewhere  before long. 

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

Does anybody know if BGU likes Anderson? I can’t really tell…

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I know you just want to make it about me so you feel better but honestly I am fine. Your concerns are not needed. Let’s talk about sports and I am shutting up about it now so just get over it. 

Longview
      Ute Fan
      @longview

His former players from Utah seem to have loved him.  His results in Utah were excellent.  The thing to remember here is he is not being hired to be a head coach.

crazyute
        Ute Fan
        @crazyute

I think you have a done great job of making it about you in 3 different posts with the same drivel.

Longview
          Ute Fan
          @longview

do you kick dogs too or just have a limit of insulting strangers

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

Bingo!  I am excited about him as an assistant, but I wouldn’t be happy if he was hired as a HC right now.  He needs to prove himself again after his complete collapse at OSU before I would be comfortable bringing him on as HC.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hey, you guys remember that D that he threw at the zoobs the year Ratliff stepped in and QB’d? The one that had one down lineman or no down linemen? What was that called? The zoobs had no clue how to block that. It was beautiful!

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

I know it’s not a popular opinion around here but Gary loves Utah because he thinks he can win here–as head coach. Coaching is as mercenary a business as it gets. He actively raided Utah coaches and recruits at his last job and now our special son comes home? Please.

I think Whitt did a former employee a favor after the employee showed ruinous personal judgment. He quit on his team and walked without the buyout, which was irresponsible to his family as well as his players. Loyalty my ass. IMO he wilted and bailed.

I am skeptical that Gary will stay in his lane and could cause conflict. Also, everyone says Kalani and Scalley are under Whitt’s control but Gary was not? Why? He won at Wiscy and left precisely because he was under control there too. Got to Oregon State and flameout. I don’t mean to attack one of us but I don’t understand all the love for him on this board. There are better coaches and successors out there.

Gary loves Utah so much he jumped from Wiscy to try and do the MAFU model at Oregon State. Picked Whitt’s DC and Dline coach and started flipping poly players from Utah. That’s about as much of a betrayal as I can imagine. I would watch my back if I was Whitt. Stay away from him when the bus approaches…

We will learn over the next couple years what the right way to look at this will be. Right now I am hiring a subordinate and let’s just say I don’t think this profile is what I would want.

2 2

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Gary left Wisconsin because he thought he was taking the Utah job. 

Kyle was coming off two 5-7 years and our asshat fans wanted him gone. 

Gary took the OSU job to reestablish connections. He took Kalani to get Kalani a HC job.

Everyone and their dog thought Kyle would struggle again, get fired (or move on), Gary would step in as head coach and Kalani would take over OSU. 

Again, some people in the media got all butt hurt when Andersen went to USU and did his job. And for whatever reason, they took it very personal. Their vendetta against Gary is beyond pathetic. 

This narrative about Gary is 100% false and 100% started by people who tell everyone they are connected but know no more than you and I. 

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Reread the first line of your reply. Your last post PROVES the narrative. Blood got in the water. Gary actively positioned himself to swoop in as the replacement and conspired with others on staff. I like Kalani but he and Tuiaki are getting karma at BYU. None of them can hold Whitt’s jock and yet they tried to pick the program over.

These are people Whitt groomed. And I don’t know why anyone here has love for guys like that. They actively undermined Utah’s program. Call me old fashioned.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Wait, some people think having GA on staff is a bad idea?