Want to feel a little better about getting a win at Washington, look over the…

Viewing 8 reply threads

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

conference-only stats. I’ll cherry pick a few, which by the way, is easy to do because we are ahead of them in ALMOST EVERY category.

SCORING OFFENSE
      5. Utah 35.4
      11. Washington 24.8

TOTAL OFFENSE
      9. Utah 411.8
      12. Washington 328.4

TOTAL DEFENSE
      1. Utah 363.2
      5. Washington 415.4

RUSHING DEFENSE
      2. Utah 117.6
      6. Washington 162.8

PASS OFFENSE
      8. Utah 235.2
      12. Washington 181.2

Conference-only statistics</a

Anonymous
      Inactive

The one factor that destroys statistics…..which Wilson will show up on Saturday.

I really like him as the starter for what it is worth but honestly that is what it comes down to.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

The good news is we’ve practically been better on the road than we have been at home the last couple of years.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
      Ute Fan
      @mcastleton928

Well, I think the difference is that the coaches and players (Wilson included) have leaned what it takes to win. You CANNOT turn the ball over the way we did against USC and expect to beat ANYBODY. We also must run Booker more than we did against USC to have a chance. Those two factors combined are what cost are greatly against the Trojans, and we better do better in those areas if we want to beat the Huskies.

Anonymous
        Inactive

If you look at the OSU game, Utah had only 61 plays on offense. Utah had 4 possessions where they did not score > 3 punts, one on downs. That is the way of this Utah offense. So when you give up 3 INTs to USC which directly lead to 21 points, you’re done. It completely flipped the game plan, taking Booker out of the mix and forcing Wilson to win it with his arm. We all know that is unlikely to happen. Wilson is at his best as a game manager and a counter puncher with the passing game.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Having Norris and Dimick back will be HUGE. We badly missed Norris in the USC game, because USC killed us on the crossing routes over the middle and we had a hard time stopping their run game. UW struggles mightily against teams with strong defenses and we can’t afford a single mistake. I also believe we will get a few takeaways in this game.

The good news is that minus the 3 picks (one a Pick 6, and the other two were close enough to effectively be TDs), we were roughly even with USC in all stats.

We need Scottie to BATTLE at the WR position. He needs to fight on every down. Also we need some of our underclassmen to step up. This may be the game for Ty Smith or Raelon Singleton to shine. Covey will probably get his share of the action, I just hope the huskies don’t try to tee off on him and hurt him.

Travis Wilson needs to get back to looking off the safeties/LBs before his passes, rather than locking directly on the receiver. He did an admirable job in the OSU game, particularly on the wheel route to Handley (first pass of the game, 29 yd TD). He was exceptionally efficient in that game, and his QBR was over 199.

We need to be very careful on ST, because Deonte Cooper and Dante Pettis are very dangerous returners.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Oh yeah kickoff coverage. Still doesn’t feel like Utah has fixed this.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Oh yeah kickoff coverage. Still doesn’t feel like Utah has fixed this.

Biting my nails every time our kickoffs are returnable.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Not sure what’s going on with Andy lately. I seem to remember him kicking it out of the back of the endzone plenty of times last season, leading me to believe that he has the leg to do it, but all of his kicks this season have been inside the five or shallow in the endzone.

Not sure if it’s scheming by the special teams, or if he’s just not getting it done. Either way, it’s nerve wracking.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

I think it’s as simple as turnovers. If we do not turn the ball over, we win. If niether team turns the ball over, I think we still win. The more we are on the plus side of turnovers, the bigger our win. I also think that this is true for the rest of our games. We do not need to play well to win, we just need to not play badly.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Three and outs don’t help either. Utah needs to not gas out the defense.

As far as turnovers go, seems like Goff gave Utah too many and it is evening out.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Those are a little misleading. From what ive gathered, their defense is a bit better than ours, and their offense is a bit worse. If we can score over 20 points I think we have a great chance. This rain is going to be a wildcard. A messy game with a lot of turnovers is a crapshoot

Anonymous
        Inactive

Conference only stats are relevant. UW’s OOC shedule included Sacramento State. Interestingly, UW only rushed for 11 yards against Sacramento State.

Turnover margin will be most important in this game. UW’s run defense is nowhere near Utah’s which bodes well for Booker who’s fumble free. We just need Wilson to not throw INTs. For Christ sake, just pull the ball down and run instead of throwing a pass over the middle to a linebacker.

UteStuckInSeattle
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinseattle

The outcome of this game should be a Utah win if Utah plays clean, executes, and is positive in the turnover margin.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The outcome of this game should be a Utah win if Utah plays clean, executes, and is positive in the turnover margin.

Especially if they score more points!

UteStuckInSeattle
        Ute Fan
        @utestuckinseattle

Yes, more points would definitely help in getting the win.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Want to feel a little better about getting a win at Washington, look over the…