Was MBB always this terrible? I don’t mean the Utes, just the sport in general

Viewing 4 reply threads
      1 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I swear I enjoyed it when I was a teenager and earlier. I went to over 100 MWC games (most of them not including a team I was a fan of), and the vast majority of them were entertaining. Even watching on the TV was a ton of fun. I don’t recall Men’s Basketball being this downright awful. It’s not just the Utes. Unless it’s a tourney game with two quality teams that deserve to be there, the product is bad enough that I could switch the channel at random to something else and it would probably be at least as much fun.

I don’t remember teams gonig 8 minutes without getting a bucket. I don’t remember endless processions of free throw. I don’t remember teams getting turnover, after turnover, after turnover… and yet still somehow managing to keep the game close.

I know a lot of this (if not all of it) is due to the changing of rules, and generally philosophy of the game. The #1 culprit behind MBB sucking ballsack is the foul calling. The idea was to make the product better by allowing offensive players more freedom of movement. Did that work? No it did not. It’s been what, a decade? and MBB has turned into a freethrow contest where the most dominant players spend half the game on the bench because of foul trouble.

The #2 biggest issue is a combination of a bunch of things that I’ll lump into one issue because I’m getting lazy whilst writing this. It’s a combination of the shot clock, zone defenses, and modern basketball’s love affair with three pointers. Offensive possessions, when they don’t end at the FT line (pretty rare tbh), most often consist of a bunch of guys standing around swinging the ball back and forth on the perimeter, occasionally setting useless screens for each other than aren’t used properly. The shot clock makes this worse because it prolongs this horrific display of alleged “entertainment.” The love afair with the three is at fault for obvious reasons. The thing that is crazy to me though, is that players in college don’t seem to be getting better at shooting threes.

Taking a look back at a random Ute team from the past, the Andrew Bogut lead Utes (his finaly year)… They shot 32% from three as a team… When shooting threes wasn’t really a point of emphasis. Andrew Effing Bogut, one of the worst shooters in the NBA during his time there, shot 36% from three on well over 20 attempts. This was all when defenses were allowed to hand check, and things were much chippier on defense. How about a couple years earlier, Majerus’s last team… They shot 38% AS A TEAM. We had 4 guys on that team that shot WELL over 40% from three on over 50 attempts each (the lowest was 59 attempts). That’s two non-cherry picked teams from my childhood that are as good or better at three point shooting than our modern team.

The problem with the current team isn’t just that they are shooting 32% from three in an era where there is an increased emphasis on making threes… This 32% number is coming at a time when 3 point shooters are more open than they were when I was a kid, and there is more space to operate because of an increasing number of shooters on the floor (for most teams, not ours sad LOL). The current team doesn’t have anyone shooting over 40% from three except for Exacte Jr., who has only tried 6 threes this year (probably wide open and in garbage time). The result of all this is that we have a bunch of mediocre three point shooters, and NOBODY that can score points from the low post or high post with consistency. 

In today’s day of modern, three point chucking basketball, why can’t we find a single guy that can shoot three pointers better than Andrew Bogut (a notoriously horrible shooter in the NBA).

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

yes… this is horribly written and has a bunch of typos. Oh well.

3 1

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

The only thing worse than college basketball is the NBA. No thank you on every level.

1 2

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I disagree. The on court product of the NBA is far superior. Still has problems, but at least we aren’t watching the Riley Barton’s of the world pass the ball around and chuck up a contested 3 at the end of the shot clock.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

2 rule changes would make college basketball watchable: 1. If you get fouled in the last three minutes of each half you get the free throws and the ball back. 2. An 8 second shot clock.

I agree with Extra. The NBA is horrible on several levels.

1 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

How is it worse than college though, in terms of ON COURT product. Yes, tons of the stars are unlkeable asshats… but you can’t watch an NBA game, then watch an equally important MBB game, and tell me that the MBB college game was better. You just can’t. One has players that have actually mastered their craft. The other has players that, in many cases, are hardly better than I was as a 17 year old (I was good enough to play at colleges like SLCC or Westminster).

If CBB had a 24 second shot clock, and either A) outlawed zone defenses and made illegal defense a thing or B) allowed hand checking again, and pushed the three point line back to the NBA range, the problems would be largely fixed.

2 1

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I don’t know…I still find college basketball to be entertaining. And let’s see how many thumbs down this next statement earns me: I find it infinitely more entertaining than football. There’s just too many stoppages in football…too many timeouts. Even when there’s no timeouts there’s too many stoppages. Each play takes 5 seconds, then we get 2 minutes of replays, then another 5 seconds of play, and on and on. Football’s lack of action strains my attention. At least basketball keeps moving (mostly) and there’s a lot of transition play.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I gave it a thumbs down… I get what you are saying, but don’t agree. College basketball is incredibly difficult to watch. Maybe it’s because I played basketball, and I know what good basketball looks like?

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Was MBB always this terrible? I don’t mean the Utes, just the sport in general