Was there a local media layoff today?

Viewing 4 reply threads

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Got in the car after lunch and Bill was talking about how tough it is to go through layoffs, how difficult the sports media industry is, and how he was wishing everybody the best.  I missed the first part of the segment though, so I didn’t catch who or what he was talking about.

Anyone know?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Hmm.  Don’t know. All local media or sports media? 

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

I believe it was all media and limited specifically to the Trib.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Bummer. A friend of mine was sacked. 34 out of 94 people were let go today by The Salt Lake Tribune..

Johnny80
          Ute Fan
          @johnny80

It is sad. No more P.Rolly He was a great columnist. On also sad that Lynnn W. is gone. He was great on the Utes beat. Kinda p**sed off that Gordon “I make it up as I go” Monson is still employed. He has other means of income and his last name says he will never worry about money. 1 out of 3 without jobs…. that hurts. I was kinda over the trib when they cut the content but still charged me the same for delivery, now I am at a crossroads: reup my subscription and hope S.L.C can continue to have a (small)independent voice with a small amount of content, or see what happens next. 

I’m sure Deseret news is foaming at the mouth……

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

The Trib had a bunch of layoffs. I would say I feel bad but it has been a terrible product for a long time. This is the 21st century and they need to catch up. 

oc_ute
      Ute Fan
      @ocute

rumor is jay drew got it.  that’s the biggest name i’ve heard

2 1

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Hate to see people laid off, but I’m tired of the social media whining about this by now-unemployed reporters who are “shocked” and “gutted”. Bottom line is, you chose a career in an obsolete field (speaking specifically of print media, not media in general)…how shocked can you really be?

Things change. You’ve got to keep your skills current. How many typewriter repairmen do you see out there?

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I am really bummed I can’t get my Atari repaired. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Was there a local media layoff today?