Way way too early predictions for Utah. No underdog this year.

Viewing 2 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

New Year’s 6 Bowls

Rose Bowl – Jan. 1 (Big Ten vs. Pac-12)
      Projection: Ohio State vs. Utah

Until last year, Ohio State hadn’t played in the Rose Bowl in nine seasons. But now, the Buckeyes can make back-to-back trips to Pasadena for the first time since four straight from 1972-75. With Georgia transfer Justin Fields replacing Dwayne Haskins at quarterback, Ohio State will be the most talented team in the Big Ten.

Somewhere, somehow, the Buckeyes will lose one game along the way that they’re not supposed to, which will keep them out of the playoff. Instead they’ll return to the Rose Bowl, which isn’t the worst consolation prize, to face Utah. Utah? Yes, Utah. Someone has to win the Pac-12, right? I’m going with the Utes, who suffered a ton of injuries last season to quarterback Tyler Huntley, running back Zack Moss and wide receiver Britain Covey, but still managed to win the Pac-12 South. They’ll all be back to work with new/old offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig, who returns to Utah after serving as the Utes’ OC from 2005-08.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

While I love the prediction, I hate the “someone has to win the Pac12, right?” mentality. It sounds like he’s saying he’s picking the less crappy of all the crappy teams.

I do think as a whole, the Pac12 is down compared to other conferences but I also think if this Utah team stays reasonably healthy, they are going to be very very good.

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

IMO, the primary problem with the current CFP situation is the lack of an autobid for P5 champions. As a result, a league is much better off having a flagship school that dominates (ala Clemson in the ACC) than having parity. The Pac12 *may* be down, but it could also be that the league is more balanced and the fact that there is a 9-game conference schedule. Regardless of the reason, the perception will remain that the Pac12 is down until such time as a single school dominates a season and wins a CFP championship. The rest of the league can be in the crapper, but so long as a single school dominates and wins the CFP championship, the perception will be that the league is strong and on the way up. Messed up system.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Nail right on the head with this post thanks @Stone

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Yeah, the ACC is largely crap, but because Clemson, they’re viewed differently.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Way way too early predictions for Utah. No underdog this year.