We aren’t that team anymore

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Back in the 1980s when we expanded the stadium and got rid of the track, there was an open house hosted by Arnie Ferrin.  I had a chance to talk to him for a bit.  He said that it would not bother him if he hired a coach and he left in a few years for greener, more lucrative pastures.  He said this meant that he had done well here.

That was then and I guess it was true when Meyer was here.  But, we aren’t that team anymore.  We have come a long way from the day when I first bought season tickets in 1975.  We went 1-10 that season with our only win coming against UNM.  We were the joke of college football in the mid-70s.  Wayne Howard started the change and Mac took it over in the 90s.

Look at where we are at today.  It’s amazing how far we have come in the last 50 years.

Go Utes!!!

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

50 years is a long ways back. My memories started in the late 80s when it was pretty bad sledding. Then Mac turned things around and it’s been upward trend pretty much since 1991.

For fun I just looked up some old seasons. In 1930 the Utes went 8-0 under Ike Armstrong and only gave up 20 points all season, while scoring 340.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Yeah, the 30s was a good time for Utah football.  But, I am not even that old. 🙂

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Great post and always good to look back to see how far we’ve come.  We owe Mac, UM a lot.  We owe Whit even more!

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

Coach RM clearly laid the foundation for what we have today…..We should erect a statue in his honor.

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

When we jubilently and victoriousy walked out of Cougar Stadium in 93 I knew that Mac had our long suffering program headed back in the right direction.

pedro
            Ute Fan
            @pedro

Me too.  Dang near got in three fights that day simply for wearing red and not “wiping that smile” off of my face.  

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football We aren’t that team anymore