Weather could play a role tomorrow

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I am not sure if it will help the Utes or the Buffs more.  If it hurts the passing game – it should be an advantage to us.  CU has been relying on the passing game in recent weeks.  Shenault is back and accounted for over half of their passing yards last week.  If we can stop Shenault – we should win this game.  If he and Montez go off for 200 yards – it could be a tough day.

Yes, we play in a cold weather city.  However, I don’t think Shelley or Shyne have any esperience in the cold and snow.  Hopefully, they can ignore the elements and have stellar games. 

With injuries and suspensions on CU’s defense – I hope we can run successfully tomorrow and not need to pass much.  However, recent opponents have been getting the vast majority of their yards via the air.  Statistically speaking, their run defense hasn’t been bad in recent weeks.  But, I am not sure if their opponents just exploited a weak pass defense or not.  JJ Taylor did run for 192 yards against CU, but it took him 40 carries, which is less than 5 yards a carry.  So, I suspect we will need to pass effectively enough to keep CU from stacking the box.

Gop Utes!!!

Xanthis
      Ute Fan
      @xanthis

If Utah runs the ball 40 times (by committee) at 4.8 yards per carry they win this game. The clock control and grinding nature would kill CU with how big our lines are. The defense would stay fresh and I think our defense is still mad about the ASU game. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I believe you are right on our running game.  But, mad or not – ASU torched our defense big time and CU has a great receiver who is capable of burning us.  We need to stop him.  I hope we put JJ on him every play.

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

It’ll be interesting to see how well shenault plays tomorrow. Apparently he’s had some bad turf toe and missed time.

Xanthis
            Ute Fan
            @xanthis

10 catches for 102 yards. Man I wish we had a receiver that isn’t too effective and puts those numbers up. 

NarfUte
              Ute Fan
              @narfute

Yeah I just re checked the box score – I first saw his name under rushing (2 for 18 yds) and thought that’s a terrible receiving day for him…

TGIF

ProudUte
              Ute Fan
              @proudute

Shenault is a stud.  When he was playing at 100% they were 5-0.  Now …   As mentioned – he played last week and had 102 yards receiving.  He will be difficult to cover.  They line him up all over the field to throw the defenses off.  If we allow him to go off – it could be a long day for us.  Remember, that when he was playing – they beat ASU.

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

Weather is an equalizer in my opinion.  It gives bad teams a chance to be in the game.

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

I think style of play can be a huge part of this. If Utah, the perceived better team, was a spread the field passing team, the I agree that it is an equalizer. Being that Utah is a in the trenches, punch you in the face type team, I personally think bad weather helps Utah. Utah will still pass the ball, shouldn’t effect their bunch package much either. In my opinion this only helps Utah.

Brichaute49
          Ute Fan
          @brichaute49

Remember the 3-0 victory over TDS down there in the freezing snow etc. Yes I do believes weather can be a great equalizer. 

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

That was a mountain west game and both teams were pretty equal that year.

Hellhound152
              Ute Fan
              @hellhound152

Pretty equal?  A 4 win BYU Crowton team with a 4th string walk-on at qb vs. 10-2 conference champion Utah team with Urban Meyer coaching and Alex Smith at qb?  

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Bad weather is only an advantage if Utah can limit turnovers. 

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

I’ve always been of the opinion that snow helps the receiver more than the defender, because they know where they are running, while the defender has to react, which can sometimes cause them to slip and go down, or slow down, opening up the receiver .

That said, I think Utah’s strong running game will help them in this weather. It’s typically easier to run the ball in this type of weather than it is to throw the ball.

Time will tell, go Utes!

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

You could also use the same logic for the D line. I think the weather could be a huge advantage for Utah on that side of the ball. I am excited to see how these guys place with so much on the line. There is no question they are capable, just hope they are able to make it all click. A couple back breaks won’t take the Utes down, so long as they play up to par.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Weather could play a role tomorrow