17 1

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Hopefully he rebuilds Sack Lake City.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

“Defensive Assistant / Associate Head Coach”, whatever that means.

I don’t know how to feel about this after the way he preformed at OSU (not to mention the way he left). But he deserves the benefit of the doubt, I guess. Just don’t let him text anyone.

He is good at developing D-Lineman, which certainly looked like a need after this season.

Go Utes!

1 2

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

Scalley is getting groomed for HC IMO. Remember Harding is also an assistant HC/OL coach – As noted below it’s a way to pay more for a lesser title.

This is only a good thing. GA is a great defensive mind and Kyle is still running the ship

2 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Assistant more than or less than Associate?

NarfUte
            Ute Fan
            @narfute

Semantics. When Harding got the assistant HC title the release said “as Utah’s assistant head coach by head coach Kyle Whittingham”

Gary’s release says “the Ute coaching staff as an associate head coach and defensive assistant. “

I’m sure they’ll both be listed the same

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Throw game coordinator or passing game coordinator. 

I am having Schramm Roderick flashbacks. 

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

I call Bull S**t! Name one source from Utah that has ever said that Scalley is getting groomed. It feels like one of these narratives the fan base has made up and it keeps getting passed around. Maybe Scalley ends up winning the job but lets not pretend that the reigns are just waiting for him to take over…there will be much competition for that job should it come open. 

1 1

NarfUte
            Ute Fan
            @narfute

It’s just the most logical result. If CHill is the AD when Whitt retires, I bet he hires Scalley. Utah would be GA’s dream job but he’s created himself too much baggage 

In my ideal world Utah would land a G5Hc/P5Co big name when Whitt retires, since we now have the resources to keep someone like that.

Puget Ute
              Ute Fan
              @pugetute

I like Scalley a lot, but he really needs to go be an HC somewhere else first. 

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

He can take over for Jay Hill when he is hired away by Utah. 

NarfUte
                Ute Fan
                @narfute

Very true. He could very well end up like Kalani 🙂

Interesting to see where Jay Hill goes after Weber – Someone’s going to pick him up soon I imagine

Puget Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @pugetute

I would be more interested in hiring Dave Aranda as the next HC than anybody else currently in the state.

gUrthBrooks
                Ute Fan
                @hammer

EXACTLY! Why does Utah need to experience his growing pains when he can get them at Frezon St. and if he kills it there. Boom! Here’s the reigns, Morgan.

Puget Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @pugetute

That is the way it went for Scott Frost. He went from OC/QB coach at Oregon, to program-changing HC at UCF, to (who knows) at Nebraska.  I honestly hope he does well at Nebraska. They love to complain about coaches who win fewer than 9 games per year.

Onlyu
                Ute Fan
                @uf8fl

When Kyle goes he will be replaced by someone that has been a successful D1 coach.  Someone with HC experience or a highly successful coordinator at a P5 school (or an absolute stud at a G5 school), either way you will see a quality hire.  Could it be Morgan?  Absolutely but he’ll have to prove a lot more than what he’s done so far.

Gary Anderson, whether you like him or not, adds huge value to the program.  He’s game planned for every scheme in our conference, knows our defensive plan as well as anyone, Recruited against every school in our league, has P5 head coaching experience similar to guys like Jim Haslett at Oregon whom we have to beat as a DC.  

He went off the deep end at OSU…who knows exactly why but your crazy if you think this guy doesn’t make us better.  

Puget Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @pugetute

And last year he did two things that we couldn’t, which was beat Cal and Oregon (and also bitchslapped Arizona worse than we did).  This despite the fact that our team was quite a bit more talented than Oregon State’s team was. 

1 2

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

If it is true Dr Hill needs to be fired now not after he does it. 

NarfUte
              Ute Fan
              @narfute

I saw Hill on the sideline at the bowl game. He looks like he’s aged 10 years in the last 2. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him retire sooner rather than later

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

He is grooming his replacement now I believe.  Forget his name. 

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

Be interesting to see if his title is associate or assistant. 

NarfUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @narfute

You’re being facetious but the heir apparent in the AD is Kyle Brennan. He Roderick’ed us with Montana State.

And HIS title is Deputy 😀

1 3

EagleMountainUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @battlegroundute

I am being very facetious but this whole GA thing is a big farce. 

gUrthBrooks
                      Ute Fan
                      @hammer

Who were you wanting them to add? Steve Smith Sr.?

1 2

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

Well Steve Smith isn’t GA so he seems qualified to me.  

NarfUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @narfute

I like it. He can be the ChipontheShoulder coordinator. 

gUrthBrooks
                    Ute Fan
                    @hammer

Roderick’ed. Good one.

SteelUte
        Ute Fan
        @steelute

I think the actual title is “associate to the head coach” ala Dwight Schrute.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I just don’t understand this at all. Especially the associate head coach part. 

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

I think the title is a way to get him a few more bucks since he’s not a position coach or coordinator. I would assume K-Whitt cleared this with Scalley before moving forward. I just hope he lights a fire underneath Utah’s new DE’s.

1 2

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Wells thats good considering he gave up his f**king contract and Utah wouldn’t have had to pay his ass anyways if he didn’t. 

gUrthBrooks
            Ute Fan
            @hammer

Scalley in the booth. Gary on the sideline ripping into guys…is ok with me. 

2 7

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Ripping or crying who knows what this head case is going to do. Good thing he is back in Xanax Utah I guess.

gUrthBrooks
                Ute Fan
                @hammer

I see him as the 10th coach and if he can recruit…it’s as good as addition to the staff as anyone else IMO.

2 1

crazyute
                Ute Fan
                @crazyute

Speaking of crying and needing xanax… or just some damn tissues for your issues

3 8

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

This is fantastic. Our next head coach is now on the staff. The question is, will it be Scalley or Andersen? Either way, Utah wins. 

3 2

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

When did we rehire Jay Hill?

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

He’s an associate transfer coach to the regional Head Coach

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

He’s in the running as well. 

I’d bet a lot of money out next head coach is Gary Andersen, Jay Hill or Scalley, in that order. 

Id also bet a lot of money that if we have a big year, Scalley leaves to take a HC job (Fresno seems like a perfect spot for him after Tedford leaves to take a P5 job) and Andersen becomes the DC. 

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

I am still convinced that GA is not HC material, although he is an outstanding addition to the staff and will be a big help next year.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Not HC material yet in title he is Associate Head Coach.  I think Scalley is fine to handle the situation but it will be interesting to see how he responds.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

The stars are aligning..

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

I think it’s a good hire personally, like players with talent you want to get as many talented coaches and recruiters as possible and figure it out/make it work afterwards.

For those that don’t believe he’s a good coach, well we’ll have to agree to disagree and same for recruiting.

For those worried about his leaving OSt I can understand that but when I factor in that he just gave up his salary that the school would to have had to pay him, that is like 1 in a million (or 12.6 to be precise) and makes me feel like I should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not saying he handled everything well and that he wouldn’t have liked to do things differently like those texts to the reporter, I would like to get the context of the texts (see them all) but even still I would bet he thought he was sharing them privately, which he should know better. For example local radio host PK says he gets inside texts and calls but doesn’t share them or who the person is, closest is after the fact about a player he was told would blow up in 1-2yrs.

Again not trying defend GA or his actions as several things are just so different and unusual but I hope he has learned somethings in his years away AND learned from these recent tough times and has come out stronger and better for it. His history suggests he’s a good guy with high character and strong ties and loyalty to Utah and it’s players and I’m guessing that’s what Whit believes as well, so if Whit trusts him so do I.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Welcome back Gary Anderson!