well..week 2 and games already being postponed

Viewing 2 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Wasnt sure when i expected the postponements to start  but I probably wouldnt have bet on it being this early. I dont neccessarily expect the number per week to increase (maybe), but they will be constant throughout the entire season. A few “big” games are destined to get hit. I would expect quarantines to be position group based and that means postponing and not trotting out with a bunch of first stringers out. We will see how that develops. Either way, drastic alterations guaranteed

If we get to play football in November ill appreciate it for what it is. Utah football. More of a scrimmage-esque talent development and evaluation focus (which will more than suffice), but we are not missing a damn thing. No matter who makes ny6/playoff games this season will end up as a pure throwaway trashheap. Althiough ESPN will surely pour everything they got into creating some stature and value to those games. We could see a shoehorn of brand names into the games or some “shocking” participants. Either way its guaranteed to be manipulated by circumsatnce or happen solely because of it

its a god damn shame…the whole thing. I think it was always “possible to play” (I think they go way deep into cancellations of games before they consider wrapping the entire thing). This virus has taken so much from everybody….I have not lost a loved one or even an acquantance so taking this college football season is probably number 1 for me by a good margin over day to day alterations of my life and the financial hit

4 4

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Honestly I’m a little surprised it hasn’t been worse. Football has large rosters (more people with a chance to get infected and more people to spread it to) and they’re populated by kids in their late teens and early 20s, which is a demographic not exactly known for being disciplined about social distancing and mask wearing. Plus we have a low tolerance – one case and the entire team will be shut down.

At this point, I expect more games will be canceled than actually played this fall, and most of the college football world will attempt to salvage the season in the spring. By then I expect every player and staffer will be vaccinated.

Interestingly, this is exactly what the PAC12 has been planning from the start. The other conferences will end up in the same place…they’re just going to get there the hard way.

2 1

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Just to correct a couple things: 1) Teams like Oklahoma showed all summer that the team can live and practice together with zero cases.  I think the general student population is what is causing a bump-up in the number of cases and increased spread via typical college social activities and shared living arrangements (dorms, Greek houses, shared apartments).  It is true that what is going on in the general student populaiton is nearly impossible to control and it is somewhat less difficult to control this disease within the team population.   I honestly believe the players are safer among their teammates than they would not having football and generally going about their lives. 2) it is not being handled that “one case will shut it down”.  Oklahoma played yesterday with several players sitting out either for COVID-positive tests or close contact with a COVD-positive player.  Not sure what the threshold is when a team has to cancel ala BYU, may have to do with lack of healthy players in specific position groups.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

We need to think about the incremental difference when we consider the safety of playing.   Football practice and games will produce some infections, as well as will staying home of coming to school but not playing football.  I have not seen any data that suggests a significant incremental difference for playing football.  No fans or very few fans in the stands will resolve the large significant risk for football.

Some players could have family members they live with that are high risk or may even have a high risk themselves.  Every accommodation should be made to allow them to sit out.  Players that test positive should sit out, players that have contact with positive players should themselves be tested but allowed to continue if testing negative.  Last, we need to relax about the idea of 2s and 3s playing.  They work hard and deserve to be able to play without a bunch of whining. 

Incrementally, playing football has insignificant risks to players that do not live with high risk individuals.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

You’re exactly right, consider the incremental risk.  It is very small because while they are training and practicing they are among tested negative people and have coaches and trainers watching them to make sure they’re following protocals.  This is safer than being in a classroom or at the Bizzell Library. 

If you look at the conferences that are playing, 1) opt-outs are allowed, 2) contact tracing is being used so people close to those who test positive are asked to sit out of competition also (I assume this is a roommate not just someone who sat in the same QB meetings, for example).  There is a going to be a huge asterisk on this season so just roll with it in regards to playing 2’s and 3’s before their time.  Football was always “next man up”.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football well..week 2 and games already being postponed