What a difference two weeks makes.

Viewing 6 reply threads
      8 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Two weeks ago the sky was falling, calls for a new head coach were being made, Utah football was done for.

Now? We do have two losses, but they are to ranked teams. We have beaten a ranked team and if we win on Saturday, we will be in first place in the south with our destiny in our hands.

There is probably some life lesson to be learned in there somewhere.

T_T

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Failure is a part of life and the only thing you can do to combat that is work smarter, harder, and be better?

Or fire Whittingham?

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Utah… I really like your posts.  I think you have great input and will actually make it a point to read your stuff.

That said, it’s not like this team didn’t deserve our frustration.  Our offense couldn’t get out of their own way for long stretches of those first few games.  The frustration is that the South was ours for the taking this year and if we only had an average offense against Washington and Wazzou we’re sitting undefeated right now.  It seems as though we’ve turned a corner and I’m totally energized by that, but it’s going to be very difficult to pull out the South with those two losses and with the schedule we have remaining.

Out of our five remaining games, I think we beat UCLA and take 2 out of 4 from USC, ASU, Oregon, & Colorado.  That gives us 4 losses and that’s not going to take the South this year.  I hope I’m wrong and SC and Colorado implode, but I don’t see it.  So that’s where those of us that were frustrated were coming from.  I personally wasn’t calling for coaches heads, but this is the first time that it became clear that we’re kind of stuck where we’re at.  We may have plateaued.  Again, I hope I’m wrong and will gladly say so if we can make it to the Pac12 championship game…

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

A gentle rebuking. I’ll take that.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. 

We fell on our faces, especially vs Washington State. 

I disagree on one thing: We should beat USC this weekend. They can’t run and they can’t stop the run. If we beat USC, the only “real” test left is Oregon.

If we run the ball 40 times, we should beat everyone except for maybe Oregon. 

5 4

User Suspended
      @a2ute

^ what a snowflake post…smh.

The past due goal is still the same for kwitt. Win the motherf*cking south or expect hell fire.

2 2

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

^ Internet tough guy post.

Huntley and receivers seemed mentally unready. I don’t know what woke them up but I’m glad they did.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

I think we trimmed it down to what we did best, power sets. And everything worked from there.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

They are running pretty much the same formations. They just happen to be ballin it up. 

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Perhaps, but a few formations have been dumped. They really seem to be focusing on that bunch set and only every so often doing the more traditional spread looks. And it works. On that Simpkins TD I was calling a run up the gut the whole way. Boom long pass. Seeing ESPN do a fast breakdown showed me just why that formation is so good for Utah. We work the body with the run and then throw a haymaker.

2 4

User Suspended
        @a2ute

It’s great that Utah has won the last two games… very enjoyable.  All I’m saying is don’t fall into the annual trap of believing kwhitt has turned the corner.

Can kwhitt hold it together a win out? Win the South?  History says no.  So ya, he has a lot to prove in making this season different then the last 7.

Anonymous
          Inactive

Yup. The staff and the team have painted themselves into a corner where there is zero room for error, none. If they can’t win the Division this year, when it is right there for the taking, then Kyle will never do it. 

Division champs or new coaching staff. They’ve won two games decisively. That’s all. 

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Isn’t Colorado in first with just one loss? 

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

Correct. But we still have to play them. If the Utes win out, including v Colorado then we would have the tie-breaker over potentially 2 loss Colorado and USC. Wouldnt put money on it but its possible. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Colorado will be good for a few more losses. USC will lose this weekend and probably drop two more. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’m assuming Washington beats Colorado this weekend, which would put a three way tie for first place with USC, Utah and Colorado. Utah would hold tie breaker over USC. 

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

If Washington doesn’t beat Colorado I’ll eat a transmission from a 2001 Dodge Caravan.

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

If you’re okay with Japanese, I have a 2004 Suzuki Forenza transmission I can donate.  Smaller, and if you throw some wasabi on it, much more palatable.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
          Ute Fan
          @mcastleton928

It wouldn’t be a three-way tie. Colorado would drop to 3rd because they’d only be 2-2 while both Utah and USC would be 3-2. That’s only a two-way tie. 

mokus
        Ute Fan
        @mokus

USC is on top because while they both have one loss in conference, USC has one more win. So ahead by a half game.

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

You can pretend like that Wash St loss wasn’t a big deal, but now it leaves us with no margin for error and it could have easily been won with just a little bit of consistency on O.  Am I happy they are improving? Absolutely, the product has been much better the last two games.  If you were entertained during our first 4 games then good for you, I didn’t have much fun watching those games(outside of some defensive plays).

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What a difference two weeks makes.