What do you think of this year’s “rivalry” game with BYU?

Viewing 8 reply threads

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

I know there are those on this board that would prefer that we not discuss TDS at all, but it is our first real game of next season and will tell us a lot about the team. In addition to that, I got into a discussion with a pretty disallusioned BYU fan and needed a place to use actual logic to evaulate the game.

The way I see it, I expect that our dominance continues for at least one more year.

My thoughts:

1. Utah’s current question marks are in the O-line and the secondary. The secondary might have been a concern considering the pass happy offense usually employed with Mangum on the field, but Utah brought in a stellar recruiting class and TDS lost the majority of their top receivers (who really weren’t that impressive anyway). Add in a dominant Utah pass rush and I anticipate the TDS offense will struggle to put together drives.

2. The Utah offense is as of yet undefined, but with the return of TW and the majority of the recieving corps. the pass game should be solid. The addition of some highly rated receivers and the QB expertise of Troy Taylor could even take it to another level. The running game doesn’t have a guaranteed stand-out back, but Shyne and Moss should be able to keep things rolling and add balance to the offense. I don’t see TDS as having the talent to slow what could be a very dynamic offense. The biggest concern is of course the O-line, which will face their first real test against a physical defensive front.

In the end I predict a win, with a strong potential of a multi-score victory.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I’m not worried about the OL. Not.AT.ALL. We are returning three starters: Barton, Falemaka, Uhatafe. Bartong and Uhatafe have LEGIT potential. Plus, we have a TON of talent and an AMAZING OL coach. We will be fine on the OL. 

The secondary…that is a question, but I’m not worried about it vs FBYU-P and INT-making-machine-Mangum. Our DL will destroy them like usual and he will throw balls up for grabs and Hansen will have a career day. 

We will beat them, like we always do. Their OL is subpar, they lost Jamaal Williams, who was their whole offense. Their defense is solid, but nothing special. 

If we have an offense, we blow them out. Something in the 40-50 range vs 15-20-ish. 

If we don’t have an offense, we beat them like we have the last three years before last year. We get up two scores in the fourth quarter, go conservative, they get within one score, we win, they crow about how they should have won. 

I’d put the over/under on Mangum INT’s after the Utah game at 7.5. 

There is a reason why Hill was their starter last year, and it isn’t because Mangum is the next Max Hall, John Beck, Jim McMahon, or Sark. It is because Mangum is a poor QB, who is statistically worse than Hill and Travis Wilson vs P5 schools. 

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

If we can commit 6 turnovers and still beat them, I’d say our chances are pretty solid on a non-fluke day as well.

Frankly, I’d just like to beat them soundly (14-20 points) without any sort of drama. However that happens, I’m cool with it.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

At the risk of sounding like an arrogant P5 fan, I can’t help but thinking first about the talent gap.  It continues to grow.  Pure talent doesn’t win games, just ask USC.  But it sure helps. So as long as we can get it together by then from a chemistry and coaching standpoint, I see a win.  The zoo will certaintly be all stoked up, but hopefully can’t hang with us for long.

Just think about it.  We’ve beaten them playing poorly and with nearly ZERO offense. Zero.

2 6

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wrong category first off.  

But other than that great post I agree with everything.  

10 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

He’s talking about Utah football category police. Even the majority of his post is about Utah and breaking down Utah. Lighten up man. 

Anonymous
          Inactive

Ok work on that right away.  

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Sometimes it seems like you just complain about everyone else’s posts. 

Here is a well thought out post about football. What a godsend. Who cares what category it’s in? It’s football. Utah football. 

Anonymous
              Inactive

nm

5 1

PorterRockwell
              Ute Fan
              @porterrockwell

Every society needs a Frank Burns 

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

Isn’t the TDS category for smack talk or something specific to them?  

Lighten up you’ll live longer 

Milton Vanderslice
          Ute Fan
          @miltonvanderslice

Anonymous
          Inactive

You really took a one sentence statement and read into it to level an insult at me? Personally that is how I see it. The topic and the very first sentence the OP realizes that some people don’t want to talk TDS.

I really like the post and I am disappointed in myself mostly that three of you felt the need the need to hijack it with insults. I see it that way now but my intent really is twisted by these replies.   But if this could please end now and leave it as wonderful post.

I apologize to you, Milton, Utah and especially UteDuke if he took my post in that regard. I sincerely do want to work on it. 

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

If anything BYU lost more than we did.  Last year was probably their best shot and they blew that one.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I was recently in a room with several zoobs (I appreciate your condolences in advance). They are pretty high on their chances this year, but aren’t they every year? Anyway, they think sitake is the savior, and he’s going to get them back to their glory days. Sitake is an upgrade from donko, but their most recent recruiting class was unimpressive, so I’m not seeing it. 

All that said, Utah does a magnificent job of s**tting the bed at times, so I’m not overly confident. I’d give us a 25-30% chance of losing. The new offense is a big question mark, otherwise I may give us better odds. Just not sure how long it will take to click. 

zeous
        Ute Fan
        @zeous

Can’t blame them for having hope because the distraction that is the game would be pretty pointless otherwise.  Definitely agree that over confidence on our part is unwarranted. 

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

See this is where I disagree. I am a big fan of Kalani Sitake and think he is just a great human being.

However, he is nowhere near the level of coach that Bronco was. KS may be/likely is a better recruiter, but he has a long way to go to match BM’s game-time adjustments. He made his share of boneheaded calls, but even Bronconi never attempted to run a fake punt out of his own end zone.

TheJuggernaut
          Ute Fan
          @thejuggernaut

I keep hearing about the “Sitake Effect” on recruiting, but this year’s class, ranked #63 by Rivals, which Sitake had 14 months to prepare for, was no better ranking wise than the last decade of classes under Bronco. They already have 8 commits for 2018, it’s looking like more of the same.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Personally I’m more worried about North Dakota than byu.

Utahute72
        Ute Fan
        @utahute72

That is North Dakota, not North Dakota State.  The Hawks, not the Bison.

Tacoma Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tacomaute

Yes but North Dakota finished #12 in both FCS polls last year.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

What do I think of this year’s “rivalry” game with BYU?

I think we should cancel it.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What do you think of this year’s “rivalry” game with BYU?