What has fixed our early season struggles?

Viewing 7 reply threads

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Many said that if we could just clean up a few things like dropped passes, special teams errors, and fumbles/turnovers, our offense would be good. Well, it seems like the offense is performing well despite some of those same problems. 

Watching the USC game, there were many of the same problems we saw in the first 4 games of the season. There were some dropped passes, Moss fumbled, Huntley fumbled away a scoop-and-score, we had a punt blocked, Covey muffed a punt, we failed to convert a 4th & short at midfield – all things we saw against Weber, NIU, and UW. And yet, we put up 41 points against the Trojans?

So, I don’t think we’ve simply cleaned up some things. What has fixed our issues from earlier in the year? Is it just running the ball more?

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Huntley isn’t very good when they have him throw forty times a game. Sometimes that can be misleading. Before the Zona game they said they fixed things and Huntley had some issues. 

TT ran the bunch formation a few times prior to Stanford but it became this play set up by the rush to lead to easy passes for Huntley. No team has defended it well as the game has worn on. Also the amount of passing personal was slimmed down.  Drops are down a lot though the wide open drops. Covey only had one drop against fUCLA that I can think of.  

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

Using the run to set up the pass. Defenses honoring the run and play action make Huntley’s job much easier. Seems like the bunch formation wasn’t as effective vs UCLA so defenses may be adjusting. Keep on eye on it in Tempe

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Scoring points.

1 3

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I said all spring and summer that if we ran it 40 times a game we’d be unstoppable. We finally started doing that. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Not really. We ran it 39 times against NIU, and 50 times against Washington State; one was an ugly, ugly, game and the other one was a loss.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

The passing game was very ineffective against WSU though and against NIU red zone offense seemed to shut down. Receivers catching the ball has been key during this four game streak.

At UCLA I think the game plan all along was to run it down their throats. I’ve only seen a couple UCLA games this year but in each one their run defense looked soft.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Crazy thought here but rushing too much contributed to the loss at Wazzu. We all point to the block in the back but Utah had stupid ass procedures and penalties at critical point as well.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Two things. First, they’re finally using Zack the right way. No more dancing and prancing and f**king around. Now they’re getting him the ball and he’s hitting the gap. Finally utilizing that massive OL to just kick the s**t outta people. They’re also mixing in Armand and TJ to mix things up. Second, Tyler’s reads are night and day better than they were earlier in the season. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

How did we improve Tyler’s reads so drastically though in such a short time? 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Honestly I think his timing with his receivers is more on point now. Plus with the play calling, it’s getting his confidence up so he plays better throughout the entire game.

Anonymous
          Inactive

I can only offer a guess here, but I think he’s been directed more specifically on his progressions. I also think the offense has been pared down and is more just straight ahead. We seem to be less RPO and more Pistol. But I’m only guessing. 

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Some of those defender in your face plays. He has had one almost every game. Against USC it was a blown block quick pitch to Jake Jackson for the score. The side step he had against Zona avoiding a sack. The side step against Stanford that iced the game. UCLA was his weakest game but it also just felt “routine”I guess against an inferior team. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Huntley was making the right read at times but missing the throw or they had a drop. 

fUCLA he was off again for his reads. fUCLA played the fades deep so Huntley just kept tossing it over their heads. Both times Nacua and Enis had position underneath he didn’t need to do that. Nacua’s was straight up PI and he should have tried to finish his route or break up the INT. 

Toopup
      Ute Fan
      @njute

Offensive line play.  My pick for surprise player of the year is Ford. That line just wears defenses out.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Harding for the win. They make a few mistakes here and there but next year?  This could be lights out on Oline with TT at the helm for year three. 

Xanthis
      Ute Fan
      @xanthis

A huge change was not changing half the personnel in between each play. It allows the guys to get into a rythym. 

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What has fixed our early season struggles?