What to expect in our game next week

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

BYU’s offense may be the worst I ever remember from a BYU team.  They are totally inept and simply cannot run the ball.  Utah has a great run defense.  BYU will be forced to open it up.  But, their tight end is the only receiver who seems to have D1 talent.  If I was Scalley, I would make sure that we mix up the coverage on the tight end to confuse Mangum even more.  Without the tight end, he has nothing.

I don’t think BYU’s defense is that bad.  I know they allowed 479 yards and that isn’t good.  However, they never got a chance to rest and LSU had many more plays than they should have had.  Had BYU’s offense done anything to keep the defense off the filed – LSU probably would have had 350-400 yards.  Guice may be the best returning running back in the nation.  He had a good game, but not great game last night.  He averaged 3 yards less per carry than he did last season and his long run was only 13 yards.  I think that BYU did a pretty good job against Guice and company.  They bent again and again, but rarely broke.

I don’t think that Utah will be able to run all over BYU’s defense.  In fact I would be surprised if we have a 100 yard rusher.  So, what do we do.  We go to Carrington early and often.  We don’t need to throw long and probably shouldn’t   BYU’s DBs give a big cushion because they do not want to be beat by speed and the long ball.  I would go to Carrington and company with 5-10 yards passes and let them take it from there.  We mix in a good run game with Moss, Huntley, et al and we should be able to control the ball much like LSU did.

Unless we have a ton of turnovers, I don’t expect to score 40 points on the Cougars.  I suspect we will shut down their inept offense and we will control the ball when we have it.  I think we dominate in time of possession and win the game by 2-3 touchdowns.  Also, keep in mind that the Cougs have nothing to lose.  Sometimes that helps and sometimes it backfires.  We shall see.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I think some of those over the top balls will happen against byu. Huntley was a little off on a few of them but I see him extending plays with his athleticism and BYU corners losing widouts in space. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I agree that there will be some.  I think they will come after BYU realizes that need to stop the short passes and stops giving our receivers a cushion.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I see BYU doing what they do best stopping the rush. That will take a safety playing close to the line of scrimmage. Carrington will make them pay quickly. 

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Hopefully Huntley can hit Carrington to make them pay. His deeper pass attempts was the one area of his game that didn’t look very good.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

The one in the south end zone seemed to sail on him a little but the receiver also let up a little I thought. The free play was weird and I still don’t understand how he didn’t just hit the post. 

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

byu-s multiple goal-line stands against the best RB in the nation were impressive. When they need to make a stop they are fully capable. 

I am glad we are not completely reliant on a dominant running game as our only real Oh-fensive weapon.
      LSU played 15 true FR and 8 RS FR in that game, many of whom were starters or played significant minutes. I suspect our D will have a fun time in the game on Sat. 

shakeitsugaree
      Ute Fan
      @shakeitsugaree

BYU’s offense may be the worst I ever remember from a BYU team.

But, Ty Detmer? Heisman?

St George Ute
      Ute Fan
      @stgeorgeute

I about fell out of my chair reading this…

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

I completely agree with him. The score this week will be tasty. I doubt he will be happy…

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I’m speechless except for LOLZ!!!!

Anonymous
        Inactive

Mark Durant is a kowtowing moron.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Well, we should do what LSU did. We probably can’t ground ‘n pound, but we could dink ‘n dunk.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What to expect in our game next week