What worries me about BYU’s offense:

Viewing 2 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Not much. BUT, if I had to pick something, I will. 

Jonah Trinnaman. I’ll get to why in a second. 

What doesn’t worry me? First, their OL. Kanuch is solid, but what college football player that was recruited with Jake Heaps isn’t good by now? Koroma doesn’t worry me at all. He is very over-rated. Their tackles are garbage. 

Second, their HB’s. They too, are garbage. Their only hope is that the kid from Wisconsin suddenly becomes Harvey Unga. He is big, he will run over some people, but that is about it. 

Their WR’s don’t scare me either. None of them can catch, none can get off the line with physical DB’s. 

TE’s…Bushman seems to be pretty solid. But, he’s young, not fast and not a game changer. I don’t think they can throw to him 15+ times and have him score 3 TD’s with 200 yards like Utah can do with Carrington. 

What I think Utah does with Bushman is this: Utah plays a 4-2 front. I expect Utah to bracket Bushman with Tauteoli and Ballard. Have the LB jam him at the LOS and then take away the underneath throw with Ballard over the top taking away the deep throw. Mangum isn’t accurate enough to get the ball in that window and I expect an INT or two off this. 

I know a lot of people think we should put Hansen on Bushman, but I agree with John Pease on this; Hansen is too good to do that to. 

I would let the four DL neutralize the 5 OL from BYU (4 Utes vs 5 them). Have Luafatasaga take primary responsibility for the HB (5 Utes vs 6 them). Man up with the two WR’s (7 Utes vs 8 them). That leaves BYU’s TE, QB and FB (and BYU would be crazy to not use a FB this game, it is their only hope for any sort of run game). 

We don’t need to worry about the QB running. So, we are still 7 Utes to 8 them. 

If we Tauteoli/Ballard Bushman, that puts us at 9 Utes to 10 them. 

If BYU goes with a FB, we get Thompson/Barton in there to take on the FB (10 Utes to 11 Cougars). 

What does this do? This allows Chase Hansen the freedom to do whatever he wants. We can essentially allow him to roam free and make plays. He is an extra player on the field for us and he can sit down and we can still stop them. He would be free to do what he does best: 

Wreak havoc. 

Now, back to the beginning of my post. The one player that scares me is Trinnaman. Why?

He is fast. He doesn’t scare me as a receiver. But, if I’m BYU, I get the ball in his hands. Andy Reid and Green Bay have done a great job of spreading people out and using fast WR’s as RB’s. I’d do the same if I was BYU. Get the ball in his hands on stretch handoffs, reverses, quick screens, shovel passes, etc. 

Trinnaman is their only hope for big plays and we know he can’t catch. Move him around and hand him the ball if that is what you have to do. 

If BYU doesn’t do that, I don’t see how they have any sort of prayer.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Can Mangum get the ball out in less than two seconds?? That is how they win because the wideouts won’t be able to get push and he will have to sit in the pocket. Trinneman is a stretch bro but I agree with most of what you said. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Yeah, Trinnaman is a stretch, but they have nothing else. 

I think he’s their best shot, and it goes along with your two secs comment. They need to quickly get the ball to Trinnaman and hope he can do something with his speed. 

In other words…they screwed. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

This reminds me of last season. On paper you see BYU and it isn’t even close to Utah. Yeah they had Hill and an injured runningback still not even close. Utah moved the ball with ease but Williams made some poor decisions and the Rival factor is in play. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

True. It’s all about TO’s. Without 6, we win easily. 

Credit to Nacua and Langi. It’s why are in the NFL now. Does BYU have anyone remotely close to their talent level? I don’t think so. 

Wilson’s Mustache
            Ute Fan
            @sigmaute

Actually, I thought last year BYU looked to be the better team on Paper.

Utah was replacing a lot of players (most of whom were the reason we won the Las Vegas Bowl).

BYU was briging back a ton of talent on both sides of the ball inclduing Taysom (senior QB) and probably the best RB they’ve had at BYU.

Utah had a lot more question marks at that time than BYU did and still won. Even our QB was a huge ? just as Huntley is this year.

I think Utah is simply the more talented team. Utah needs to protect the ball and they will win. If Utah has less turnovers than BYU we win. Simple as that.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

At which positions? It has been this way for a while. Yes Utah was breaking in a new QB with Williams. Joe Williams wasn’t even in his post retirement form. Utah has had more talent for awhile, dating back to almost 2008. BYU has been on the decline at most positions for awhile the results show that is obvious. Utah plays down to these type of teams for some reason.

EDIT: Bronco I feel has kept the games close in most of those years. Credit to him, dude is a weirdo but he can coach a very good defense.

Tony (admin)
                Admin/Founder
                @admin

The games have often been close because of coaching style on both sides.

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

With the new O/C that might change now.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What worries me about BYU’s offense: