When “we’re tougher than you” backfires

Viewing 3 reply threads
      6 1

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

We all know the team prides itself on physicality. When that walk-on UCLA WR talked about being the tougher team, Utah took that as a major slap in the face and slapped them around. This is a great mentality to have when facing teams with inferior talent/coaching. However, we just saw what happens when you have that mentality with teams who are more talented than you. The other teams take it personally. Better athletes > More physical. Hence the reason Ohio State always beats up on the physical big 10 teams like Wisconsin and Michigan.
      After the Pac-12 championship, Cristobal was asked what helped the players come out with so much fire. He said something along the lines of “I guess they got tired of hearing they were gonna get physically beat all week”. Texas players made similar comments before and after the game that showed they were very aware of Utah’s physicality perception. These were two instances of more talented teams easily beating a less talented team. The “we’re more physical than you” mantra will get you a lot of wins in the PAC 12, but when extremely talented teams like Oregon, USC and Texas use that as their own motivation, the physicality isn’t going to overcome their superior athletic ability.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Also, don’t flash the upside down hookem horns at your pep rally the day before the game.

cj13
        Ute Fan
        @cjohnsen13

I heard that Texas flashed an upside down “U” and so Samson just flashed horns down right back. It was just fun a games. Really annoying how horns down has turned so offensive while if the same was done with another teams hand signals it does not matter.

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

I think we need toko reevaluate or strength and conditioning program. Because we got pushed around in our 3 losses to stronger teams. Our offensive line has struggled with short yardage for years. I look st guys like umana, our center, while here is 350 lbs, he is over weight and not very strong. He doesn’t get much push in the rub game. Braeden Daniels also struggles getting push. I don’t even know where to start with Ford… penalties, beaten constantly, no push, doing the wrong thing. I feel there is a disconnect with Harding this year. Maybe Ludwig should be able to bring in his own line coach.
      I don’t think any position on the offensive line should be safe. All five should be open.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Being the more physical team can be done, week in week out gets tougher. Even the most physical team will not be able to keep it up long due to wearing down or having an off game. Utah is not the most physical team in the country at all. One of the most physical in the conference and better than average nationally. We are a long way from expecting to never be pushed around. It is kind of like being #1.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football When “we’re tougher than you” backfires