Which scenario would you prefer for the Utes?

Viewing 7 reply threads

cj13
      Ute Fan
      @cjohnsen13

Would you rather see the Utes finish 11-2 with a win at the Cotton Bowl if it means we miss the Pac 12 Championship game (Oregon vs UCLA), or would you rather have a guaranteed appearance the Pac 12 Championship Game (no guarantees thereafter)?

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

PAC12 championship shot with a chance for Roses, especially if it also means one of the departing LA schools gets pushed below us

Kirk Herbstreet
      Ute Fan
      @mariolemute

Always take a chance at the conference championship and Rose Bowl.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Path to Rose fosho. 

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

Is there a scenario where Utah wins out and not make the championship?

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

No, if they win out they are in for sure.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Nope. If Utah wins out, they will be #1 or #2 in the PAC-12, depending on what UCLA does. 

If Utah and UCLA win out, UCLA is #1 and Utah is #2.

If Utah wins out and UCLA loses to someone other than Cal, then Utah is #1. 

Utah just needs to win out. 

cj13
        Ute Fan
        @cjohnsen13

If there is a 3 way tie between Oregon, UCLA, and Utah with 1 Conference loss between each other, then the tiebreaker rules will go down to  Multi-tie Step 4 (Strength of Conference Schedule). Oregon would probably be the odd man out because they miss USC. So unless USC craps the bed, UCLA and Utah will have the tougher Conference Schedule.

cj13
          Ute Fan
          @cjohnsen13

Also, in the rare event that Utah, USC, and Oregon end in a 3 team tie at 1 loss each, the Championship Game would be USC vs Oregon. Since Oregon doesn’t play USC it messes things up and moves to Multi-tie Step 2. With the Utes loss to UCLA and Oregon and USC’s win against UCLA we would be left out even though we beat both teams.

SalUteopia
            Ute Fan
            @saluteopia

Wait, so you’re saying there is a scenario where we win out and still not make it? UCLA losing to both UO and USC is very likely. And then us beating UO and USC will not matter??!! Please tell me this is not true!

cj13
              Ute Fan
              @cjohnsen13

According to my understanding of the tiebreaker rules, yes. If it makes you feel better there has never been three 8-1 Pac-12 teams before. You can read the tiebreakers yourself here.

St George Ute
                Ute Fan
                @stgeorgeute

Pretty sure the multi team rules are only used to pick the 1st team in. After that it goes to the 2-team tie breaker. If Utah beats both SC and OR then that head to head result would put Utah in.

RedUte14
                  Ute Fan
                  @redute14

Yes, the tie breakers are used to get the first team in, then it resets from the top again for the #2 team in.

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

But I would take the cotton bowl. I just like the variety of it. It’s fun to me.

MineralUte
      Ute Fan
      @mineralute

If we don’t make the PAC12 championship I actually hope we end up in the Vegas Bowl. Great venue, SEC opponent, on a Saturday so can make it a weekend trip, close to SLC, and should pull a lot of Ute fans.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

The Rose Bowl as we know it will be a thing of the past sooner rather than later.  We are in it for the Roses.  Winning the conference is the goal.  Every time!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Which scenario would you prefer for the Utes?