whitespace issues

Viewing 6 reply threads
      3 3

Daedalus
      Ute Fan
      @daedalus

Tony, I hope you’ve realized I’ve been very complimentary and even half-heartedly offered to help with the code (we can still talk, I just haven’t done extensive PHP). So take this as constructive criticism.

UF.n has returned, at least until Nov. 21, and I still find it more comfortable to read the nested format than I do the front page of UH.c. A lot of that is from the white space wasted on the buttons between each post. It’s just easier to lose the thread of the conversation, who responded to what, etc..

Maybe if you want to keep the buttons for its distinction from The Other Site, you can just apply them to the top post. An alternative would be to move them to a “vertical dots” menu along the right hand side. Nobody needs to open/read/respond/whatever to every single little post in an overview context.

The profile option to keep things expanded is a nice pending feature too. I know you’re working on that.

Nice work so far. May the best webmaster (and you’re the only one doing anything) win!

uteman12
      Ute Fan
      @uteman12

Well UteFans.net is a hack job, and isn’t even mobile responsive. This site is great and will continually improve with time.

ChooseTheRed
      Ute Fan
      @choosethered

I’m a bit surprised  (even dismayed) at the degree to which people are asking this site to be customized to their individual needs. I’ve repeatedly seen Tony demonstrate that he’s interested in feedback and quick to implement changes but at some point everyone involved will need to accept that he can’t possibly personalize the site for each user. Just my two cents… especially when it’s asked in comparison to the hot mess that is ufn. 

Daedalus
        Ute Fan
        @daedalus

Sorry to offend you. It’s just my own experience, and while I get the “hot mess” grief, at the core UF.n is a very well-worn interface and I’m used to it.

Many sites, UF.n included, offers alternative ways to view content if you set it by profile. Even the UF.n default displeases me, I have to log in to get my preferred categories and nested post view.

I’m not setting a deadline or even a solitary demand on Tony, I’m just saying what it feels like to me. And that twitter preview actually looks pretty good to me.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’ve been working on some cleaner layout things. Not ready yet, but many people are asking so here’s what I’m working on right now:

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

By the way, I’m sitting in a food court on my lunch break working on this!  GO UTES!

Daedalus
          Ute Fan
          @daedalus

There is no question you’re responsive to every comment on the site. Good work. Enjoy your meal, please.

I only offer suggestions. They’re not requirements. 🙂 The previews look good, using plain text instead of buttons cuts down on the white space.

Red Dawn
        Ute Fan
        @ranger15

This site is awesome. Utefans served its purpose, but this is an upgrade in every way. Tony has done a great job

Riot West
      Ute Fan
      @riotwest

Is there a way to add a line like, “In reply to @Tony” to help visually with what that reply is referencing?

jrj84105
      Ute Fan
      @jrj84105

That looks really good. Some boring pop-psych about what makes people happy to follow:

Utefans, like a lot of older sites, was good because it avoided the problem of overchoice/choice overload. There was one way to navigate it, and you learned to like it or not.

People are most satisfied when they can select one of a few options when making a choice. They can quickly decide that they made the best choice even when the best choice isn’t a perfect choice.

If a site winds up having a billion different possible ways of viewing and browsing, then people will get frustrated when they find an almost perfect choice but can’t explore all the options and are left knowing that there is probably still a better choice out there.

So, my worthless opinion is that this site is very serviceable. It can still get better, but
      It’s sort of hit the point where more customization and options and frequent upgrades and additional choices are going to frustrate more people than please people. Utefans is dead. People will come here regardless of functionality at this point.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

This view isn’t adding any new functionality or features. It’s just an experiment for me to see if I can clean it up. The buttons at the bottom are not great in mobile.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.