Whitt says that there are still some active cases on the team

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

And others in quarantine.  Will we have enough eligible players to field a team this week?  If so, how many key players will not be able to play?  KW will never say.

I hate to say it but I have my doubts about this week’s game.

4 5

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

What’s worse?  Skip the game or play it with 2nd or 3rd stringers who don’t have the rona?  I’d rather not look terrible than play. 

1 1

cjd1
        Ute Fan
        @cjd1

I totally agree. It doesn’t make sense to play unless we are at full strength.

bopahull
          Ute Fan
          @bopahull

This is a complete throw away year, I think we should play if we have the requisite number and types of players. If we are using 2nd or 3rd string players at a few positions, those players will be receiving valuable reps that will pay dividends in the future. This year W/L record doesn’t mean a thing.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

I agree bopahull. Play the game even if it is with 2nd or 3rd stringers. The thing is, it may be the 2nd or 3rd stringers who are infected.

5 3

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

That may give some 3rd stringers reps, but does it help the program in the long run?  Some 4* recruit is on the fence and sees Utah losing and choses to go to USC or somewhere else?  

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

That’s a good question. I would think if it did hurt a recruit the coaching staff could easily explain they were playing with their bench and the recruit would be able to make a rational decision. But we are talking about 17 and 18 year olds.

salty-ute
              Ute Fan
              @salty-ute

I’m going to have to disagree on both counts.

I’m a Utah fan and I want to see the Utes play, even if that means losing. I’m not a fan contingent upon us having our best shot to win the games we play. In the past, when we have players out with injury, I’m still all-in and stoked to have a game.

Whatever damage covid has done to recruiting, the amount of games lost is a negligible factor. The more games we DON’T play is a MUCH bigger factor. If Utah plays, they get exposure to recruits. If they sit out games, they’re unnoticed in the background. The simple fact that PAC12 has been mismanaged and season postponed, while BYU among many other teams back east are relevant and in the conversation is more of a dissuading factor for going to Utah. Most recruits will make the logical connection that the 2020 CFB season has a big fat asterisk on it; W/L record isn’t a big deal

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

If we’re only going to play football when we’re at “full strength”, we’re never going to play another game of football again. Someone is always sick or hurt.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I tend to agree with you.

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

If it’s an option, UCLA may cancel anyway after hearing what’s going on. Not sure UCLA is going to put their team at risk because Utah has not done their part. Agree with Utah maintaining player privacy, none of our buisness to know who has C19 on the team. The how and where might be a different story the Utah sports media I’m sure will be chasing. Appreciate KW being transparent about the situation. Tough and apparently very fluid situation. First and foremost, hope all the players are well and get through it okay. Go Utes!

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

I’d rather play. If we look terrible, so be it. Is looking good now a requisite for playing football? What if we have a year in the future when we’re just not very good – nothing to do with the virus – should we just cancel the season?

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

I would lean toward playing every game possible because of the value of games to team development.  I prefer to see as many 1s as possible but want to see the 2s and 3s if they are the ones available.  Hopefully, we can play UCLA well while missing several starters but it depends on the missing starter.  What we don’t need is to play USC in our first game while they have played two already.  That would be too much advantage for them.  Also, we do not want to play fewer games than others in the conference.

I hope some of the quarantined players are due to contact tracing rather than positive tests.  Let’s hope for some players to switch to multiple negative results. 

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

I would lean toward playing every game possible because of the value of games to team development.  I prefer to see as many 1s as possible but want to see the 2s and 3s if they are the ones available.  Hopefully, we can play UCLA well while missing several starters but it depends on the missing starter.  What we don’t need is to play USC in our first game while they have played two already.  That would be too much advantage for them.  Also, we do not want to play fewer games than others in the conference.

I hope some of the quarantined players are due to contact tracing rather than positive tests.  Let’s hope for some players to switch to multiple negative results. 

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Whitt is now saying that one player is in the hospital and that they are on the borderline as to having enough players to play.  They will prepare as if they will play.

All of this does not bode well for next Saturday.  We may play, but with a limited team.

2 9

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I’m just going to assume right now that we aren’t playing this weekend. Even if every player on the team is as responsible as possible there are way too many idiots in this state to keep that many people from not getting the virus.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I heard him say one was in the hospital. Hopefully that means he’s recovered and doing well.

HoosierUte
          Ute Fan
          @hoosierute

It’s probably Covey, this thing is tough on the elderly… too soon? 

Gugstanley
      Ute Fan
      @gugstanley

I see this as an exhibition year for the PAC12 so it may be a good experience for lower tier players. Will that hurt recruiting if Utah gets blown out by UCLA? Do we risk injuries especially to the QB if the OL is compromised?

salty-ute
        Ute Fan
        @salty-ute

There’s good news this year on the OL. Whit says we have 10 people that are g2g on the OL. Last year we were struggling to get 5 OL ready to start… so even if we’re down a few people on OL, we have good odds of having a competent OL

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whitt says that there are still some active cases on the team