Whittingham has not had it easy against Petersen.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

Petersen is a great coach so I don’t want to take anything away from him, however, how come Whitt seems to struggle against Petersen coached teams when he can steamroll Nick Saban?

snafu
      Ute Fan
      @snafu

At least Whit got him a couple of years ago. The last two years have been very close. Last year was a nut punch though. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Because Petersen’s teams are really good 

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

Don’t doubt that.  However, when you talk about the 2 beatings we received at his hands at Boise St – I think we had better players.  Last year was a toss-up and the lone victory at UW we were clearly more talented as he was just stalking the shelves from a depleted roster.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

The two losses vs Boise St, we were decimated with injuries. 

Boise St played nobody then told everyone how great they were. 

utefansince79
            Ute Fan
            @utefansince79

Boise State has had our number ever since they came into Rice Stadium around 1980 and whipped us 28-7 (as a Big Sky team)  We beat them twice after that, both times while they were still 1-AA

1 1

Wilson’s Mustache
          Ute Fan
          @sigmaute

I don’t know how you can say they were “restocking the shelves” when they consistantly  had top 25 recruiting classes prior to his arrival and have since basically averaged the same.

5 1

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Petersen is flat out a better coach. Develops players for the needs of the team and does the little things to get victories in close games. Last year was a great example when Whit got cute and paid for it. That game should of been put away by Utah long before the last series. Whit struggles to close games when given the advantage. Petersen does a great job preparing his team to show up for every game and coaches his team how to manage success.

Like all us crazy Ute fans I want our Utes to evolve into a great team/program. Next couple years will be interesting for Coach Whit. All the player pieces are in place….time to capture the P12 South. Go Utes!

WhiteyFisk
        Ute Fan
        @whiteyfisk

I might be way off on this. I don’t pretend to know a lot about Whitt’s coaching philosophy. But he seems to lack the killer instinct that Peterson has. When Utah gets ahead, it’s almost like we stop attacking, go into management mode and try to run the clock, even with small leads. It’s frustrating. 

Peterson teams on the other hand will run the score up and never stop passing. Honestly, I like that style better. The only time I remeber Whitt doing that recently is Oregon 2015, where the gas peddle was down the whole game. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whittingham has not had it easy against Petersen.