Whittingham is actually a genius.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      6 1

Tyler
      Ute Fan
      @tdangerson

You guys just don’t see the whole picture. Whittingham is just keeping the playbook closed so that we’ll be unstopable in conference play. Think about it, who really cares about OOC loses? We aren’t going to the playoffs anyway, so save your stuff for conference play. The best part is, we can do this all year long. That way, nobody will have any film against us next year.

The O-line is actually elite, the kicker’s been missing on purpose, and Brewer is actually a heisman candidate. Kyle’s just playing 4d chess to win the conference.

Sarcasm aside, I feel like we really need to evaluate what is going on with the program. We’re clearly regressing at nearly all positions. I love what Whit’s done for the program, and he’s been the only coach for the Ute’s since I’ve been watching football seriously. That said, I think he really wanted to win the PAC12 in 2019 and retire; but since that didn’t happen, he still hanging in there even though he doesn’t have the drive he once had. We just haven’t been the same team since losing to Oregon in the championship.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I don’t think it’s as simple as saying we’ve regressed at every position. 

our recruiting is improving, or had been until now at least. 

I think the thing that needs to be evaluated is the strategy of leaving spots open for transfers. Clearly that has not had the impact that the coaches thought it would. We’d be better off signing younger guys with more potential and less baggage.

it could also be that we got unusually lucky with Huntley and Moss, and Gay…and we are just now regressing to where we were before they showed up.

Tyler
        Ute Fan
        @tdangerson

All fair points above, and I couldn’t agree more that there is no one simple solution. It takes competency at all positions, on and off the field, to win football games. The one part I’d disagree with is I don’t think our recruting has been improving. Sure, we’re getting a bunch of transfers from other schools; but a lot of them just aren’t working out. This is the second year that our QB from the transfer portal has turned out to be a bust. (Maybe calling Brewer a “bust” is a bit harsh, but at this point I don’t see how we start him over Rising.) Curry at RB has barely seen field time.

But speaking of transfers, I’m missing Ty so much at this point. With the South in shambles this year, he could have been a star. 

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

I don’t disagree that the transfers haven’t panned out, but our recruiting rankings are on an undeniable upward trend. Whether that will translate on the field is another story. Our best player by far was one of our lowest rated recruits. Diamonds in the rough is still how we should be buttering our bread.

GameForAnyFuss
            Ute Fan
            @gameforanyfuss

Diamonds in the rough is still how we should be buttering our bread.

Uhhhh…no. You don’t build a strategy on outliers.

Look, everyone is upset. I get it. I don’t blame you. But that’s not a reason to launch the entire system into the sun.

Recruiting rankings still work. In general, the star system still gets it right. You may catch lightning in a bottle with a few low-rated recruits, but catching lightning in a bottle cannot be your strategy.

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

Lol, if this were cooterboard I’d think this was a serious post.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We are a very young team.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whittingham is actually a genius.