Why are gun owners so afraid to admit they are gun owners?

Viewing 5 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I’ve never gotten this. 

I don’t own a gun. I have owned guns before and I will probably own guns in the future. I have no cares if you own one or not. BUT, why do gun owners freak out when they are asked if they own a gun? 

Aren’t their guns recorded when they buy them? Why the fear of admiting you are a gun owner? I don’t understand it. 

Who is going to come and take away your guns? Why do you care if a Dr. asks if you own a gun? 

Maybe I just don’t understand. can any of you, who own guns and don’t like to tell people about it, help me understand this phenomenon? 

Enlighten me. 

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

It’s not a fear of admitting that you own them. Many view having your MD ask if you own guns is the CDC’s way of getting around laws that prohibit them from researching gun violence as a health issue.

Anti gun groups have tried for years to make “gun violence” a “health issue/crisis” to generate more funding for research. Something the NRA, which I am no longer a member of and haven’t been for 25 years, has long opposed.

Frankly it’s none of my health care provider’s business if I own guns or not. Owning or not owning a firearm does not impact my health.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

I still don’t understand why we don’t let the CDC research gun violence as a health issue.

The paranoia from gun owners also baffles me, nobody is coming for your guns.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

The NRA is the biggest scam on the fact of the earth. Talk about creating issues to make money. It’s quite impressive what they’ve accomplished. 

PorterRockwell
            Ute Fan
            @porterrockwell

At one time the NRA was about Sportsmen and a conservation organization. I’m not sure when, maybe twenty five thirty years ago they got hijacked by the uber right. That’s when I quit supporting them.

PorterRockwell
          Ute Fan
          @porterrockwell

you’d have to ask the NRA and republicans why they don’t allow that.

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

I would love to see some unbiased research on the subject. But inevitably in today’s society these topics become politicized (as the climate change “science” has been).

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

My question would be, how do we protect children from irresponsible parents? Where is that line? 

Studies have shown that when A, B, C and a gun in the house are put together, a child is at a much higher risk of being injured or killed. Abuse is a lot more prevelant. 

If we can have a list that says, when these five things happen, this is more likely, which can then alert the Dr. to pay particular attention to seeing if that abuse is present or not. 

Is that ok or not ok? 

Back to my original thought, why do we not want people or the government to know we have guns? We are ok with cars being licensed, our electricians, etc, but we are terrified if anyone knows we have a gun. 

If you are responsible, you have nothing to worry about. If you are not responsible, then you should not own a gun. 

Anyways, I don’t want this to come off sounding brash or rude, I’m just trying to understand because right now, I don’t. 

I feel like this is nothing more than a scheme by the NRA to get more dues from people and drive up fear and ignorance. 

PorterRockwell
          Ute Fan
          @porterrockwell

I don’t have any kids so I don’t have to worry about them getting into my guns. I have a 1000 pound safe that it would take three or four people to move. It’s made from 20 gauge steel so it’s not easy or fast to cut into. Other than the side arm I carry all the rest of my firearms are in there.

Responsible gun ownership would prevent a lot of these needless tragedies from happening, specifically kids into firearms and shooting their friends or others.

Things like waiting periods to purchase and pick up are nothing but feel good legislation. Let’s say I’m p**sed off at Tacoma because he drank my last Keystone lite. I’m p**sed. I get on horse and ride down to Gunnies Guns. They ask for my I.D. etc. they run the back ground check. They likely notice I’m agitated etc. They stall me and notify local P.D. whom shows up to question me. In the time it takes them to do that I’ve likely settled down, realized I’m over reacting and really aren’t going to shoot Tacoma over a nasty beer.

If we really want to impact this lets charge criminals that use firearms in the commission of a crime in FEDERAL court. Let’s have minimum mandatory sentences for people that actually physically harm someone. You commit a crime in Utah with a gun, you’re convicted guess what you aren’t going to Draper, you’re going to the Federal pen in Denver or Rockford. Oh that’s a hardship that you’re family can’t visit you? too bad, the person you maimed, injured or killed can’t visit their family either.

I wish the damn NRA would stop most of their rhetoric and the same for the anti gun groups. There is a middle ground there but like most things neither side can acknowledge or see it.

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

I agree with your idea. Crimes committed with guns should be more harshly punished. Sure, it won’t stop gun violence, but I want criminals to at least have some thought in their head that if they use a gun to further their crime, they are going to get very harsh penalties.

As an aside, I recognize party-line folk all have their hypocracies, but one that has always bothered me is the hypocracy of the Hollywood liberals when it comes to gun violence. Hollywood is largely super liberal politcally, yet Hollywood continues to make films glorifying gun violence. Why is it Hollywood will take on almost every social issue there is, but fails to take a stand on that issue?

PorterRockwell
          Ute Fan
          @porterrockwell

I wish more people would purchase safes, trigger locks etc.  I wish parents would take the time to educate their children aboout the lethality of firearms WITHOUT demonizing them and educate them about what to do if they find one, someone offers them one etc.

The problem is, that like most things it’s the other children or your politician or my politician, i.e it’s ALWAYS somebody else that is the problem.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

I’m sure this discussion will end well. πŸ˜‰

For the record, I’m as libby lib as they come, but have exactly zero issue with anyone legally owning a gun – as long as they do so responsibly. The moment your irresponsibility with that firearm starts to endanger the life of me or mine, your rights end.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

^^^ This. 100% agreed. Zero issue with legal and responsible ownership. Many of my friends are gun owners, they’ve taken me shooting before, it’s fun, I get it.

I also understand if you feel that you need to own a firearm for your own protection of life and property. I’ve never personally felt that particular need before, but I understand that some people do.

PorterRockwell
          Ute Fan
          @porterrockwell

@ Kiyi-ute, I carry a sidearm because for the last twenty years I’ve sent a lot of people to places they didn’t want to go. I’ve been in a lot of places that most here wouldn’t want to go. Many of those people that I sent away have made threats towards me and my life. 95% of them were just idle threats. It’s those 5% I am wary of. If you were to meet me in public you’d never know I was carrying.

When you’ve dealt with some of the crazies I used to deal with it’s prudent to take PERSEC seriously. I have five friends that are retired LEO’s as well. We all still carry because you just never know when you may run into one of these individuals or one of their associates.
          Carrying a lethal weapon is not a decision to make lightly. If you carry with the mindset that you are going to prevent a crime like the theater or night club shootings you have the wrong mindset. My sidearm is my LAST resort, not my first.

jamarcus24
            Ute Fan
            @jamarcus24

I heard you once shot two men in Nephi just to watch them die.

PorterRockwell
              Ute Fan
              @porterrockwell

different era, I can’t do that anymore  besides nothing wrong a with a little shootin as long as the right people get shot

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

I too agree.  But that goes for anything, including cars.  It’s a privlidge.  

1 1

SkinyUte
          Ute Fan
          @skinyute

I too agree. But that goes for anything, including cars. It’s a privilege.

Not according to the hard-line 2nd Amendment folks. It’s a god-given right, says right there in the constitution.

(ignoring that whole pesky “well regulated” part, of course)

1 1

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

It’s obvious there some issue related to this question, but I am not aware of the specifics so will just answer your question at face value.

First, what I do or do not own is nobody’s business.  If it doesn’t concern the person asking, then they don’t need to know.  It’s no different for cars, guns or my sex life.  If a women can go in and have an abortion with no questions I ask, I should be able to own guns, cars or anything else that ‘isnt’ hurting anyone else’ with not questions asked.

Second, I would like to see the data that you referred to in terms of A, B, C leading to violence at home.  I have extensive background in counseling and also teach gun safety courses.  The experience I have had is that homes that have guns and have a respect for them, are often safer, happier environments for kids and adults.  Whereas homes that have a history of vilolence and abuse often will acquire and use guns to perpetuate violence.  Those people will never report to anyone what they own or don’t own either, so what’s the point of gathering the data as it would be incomplete?

Third, there exist in this world an underlying paranoia in regards to government.  Gun owners are no different than black people, latinos, women, etc….   They have all seen cases and statements that give them enough cause for concern.  All a paranoid person needs it a bit of a sign.  FTR, I am not comparing the plight of minorities in this country to that of gun owners (Black people live a life under a microscope that most people can never relate to).  But rather I am saying government has given every citizen a reason to watch them.  Our founding fathers said as much.  

So let’s make a deal, tell me about you and your wife’s sex life and I’ll tell you about my guns!  πŸ™‚

3 1

ladyinred
        Ute Fan
        @ladyinred

If a women can go in and have an abortion with no questions I ask, I should be able to own guns

If by ”no questions asked” you mean actually 10 bazillion questions, a 72 hour waiting period, a forced ultrasound, protesters waving jesus signs in your face, and endless shaming – then yes, buying a gun is exactly like getting an abortion.

I’m not trying to pick on you because I think it’s an honest mistake, but I can assure you that these things are not even the same. If gun ownership were regulated even to the tiniest degree to the extent that abortion, or even getting a driver’s license is – the NRA and its adherants would lose their collective s**t. It is shockingly easy to get guns in America, and even sensible gun control laws like sufficient background checks are met with hysteria. Yet here we are, post-Obama, and to my knowledge no one’s guns have been taken away.

pedro
          Ute Fan
          @pedro

Good call.  I honeslty have never been involved with one and those I know who have, never indicated an issue with all the questions\process.  So thanks for setting me straight.  

I do feel the point is still valid even though the analogy is not.  

AZswayze
      Ute Fan
      @AZswayze

Maybe it’s because I live in Florida of the West, but people out here are not shy about telling you all about their guns. Most of them carry them right out in the open, even though anybody is allowed to carry concealed, and many even have bumper stickers boasting about their gun ownership. Is it different elsewhere?

1 1

Mano
      Ute Fan
      @mano

IMHO, guns should be treated like cars – user licensed and gun registered.

For licensing, I believe people should show that they know how to properly handle and store a gun. I have no problem with a responsible, law abiding citizen owning a gun if it is handled and stored safely.

For registration, if a gun is used in a crime, the government should know where it came from. Also, if someone commits a felony and has forfeited their right to own a gun, we need to know if they have guns in their possession.

I think privacy is an issue, and only those who need to know should have access, but if there is a police situation at a residence, it would be nice if they could see if there are weapons there.

My 2 cents, it seems that there is common sense middle ground here.

Viewing 5 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics Why are gun owners so afraid to admit they are gun owners?