Why do members of the Church struggle so much with people that are different?

Viewing 5 reply threads
      2 2

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

For example, there seems to be a lot of stress in my Church over how to talk to kids about LGBT relationships. 

I hear this so much, “What do I say to my kids when they see a same sex relationship?”

Kids aren’t as dumb as you and I. They don’t have the same predjuces we have (until you give them your s**t). They accept people for who/what they are. 

It’s pretty simple stuff. I think this comic describes it best:

It’s pretty simple stuff. I PROMISE you, if your kid will not become gay because you accept gay marriage. That isn’t how it works. Your kid will become gay because he will be in your house on the internet one day and see boobs. He will get an erection or he won’t. That’s when he will figure out that part of his/her life. AND, if you have shown that you are Christlike and love all people, maybe your kid won’t be terrified to tell you and end up with psychologic issues or even killing themselves. 

Just because you don’t like something, doesn’t mean it is wrong. Especially when it comes to our Church. I don’t get why we have become so intolerant. 

You’d think we’d be the most tolerant when it comes to alternative marriages. We were driven from the country because of our marriage beliefs. 

You’d also think that members would be a little wary of the Quorum’s opinions on LGBT community after seeing how wrong the Church was previously about black people. You’d think we learn that sometimes old men let their bigotry and predjuces get in the way of doing what is right. 

Oh well. 

Boom. Let’s get some urgency in Tony’s desire to uncheck categories. lol. 

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

I think it has something to do with being “in the world but not of the world”.

That in and of itself begs separating yourself from those activities that are considered “of the world”.

It also has to do with “avoiding the appearance of evil”. If you are seen socializing or sympathizing with those that aren’t 100% living the rules, so to speak, then you could be seen as not avoiding that appearance of evil.

In other words…

Can LDS people avoid drinking? Yes. Can LDS people avoid drinking in bars? Yes, absolutely. Will LDS people go to bars to socialize, see bands, hang out with friends and family, eat food, and such? No. Because that would be the appearance of evil.

I realize LGBT issues are different, but there are similarities.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I had a long post on UFN just the other day about that. I don’t think that is possible. You can’t be in the world but not of the world. You just can’t. 

For example, in my original post, I said the word s**t. It has been edited out, but everyone knows I said s**t. You heard it in your brain. You tell yourself that you are being good and “in the world but not of the world” by editing the s**t word, but you still heard it. You failed. Your mind has been desecrated by the word s**t and now you must go sing hymns to purify yourself again. You either need to wall yourself off from everything that could possibly tempt you, or deal with the fact that people are different. 

And that is fantastic, in my opinion. Differences is what makes us better. It makes us stronger. 

p.s. I saw your post the other day that your son was coming to watch you play. Congrats. That is awesome. 

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

Thanks! I am super excited. My drummer is staunch LDS. I’ve already asked my drummer to make sure to introduce himself to my son, and socialize with him, so that my son can realize it’s possible to be very LDS and be in an environment like that and still be a good person.

I don’t think I’ll ever take a drink in front of my son – wouldn’t want him to get offended – but I feel it would just serve him well to be OK and accepting of other people’s behaviors, even if it goes against what he stands for – especially when said behavior is perfectly legal.

And ya, you are right. In the world but not of the world leads to isolation. Tolerance of the world and being among them, even if you don’t do the things they do (kind of like, I don’t know, maybe JESUS FREAKING CHRIST SUPPOSEDLY DID), leads to inclusion and community. And maybe even conversion opportunities.

You know what?

I think there’s another element here.

Temptation.

People will try to separate themselves from something that maybe they secretly wish they could do, or that is tempting to them on some level. They don’t want to be around something that might make them “slip”.

Could that be true for super-religious-right opinions on LGBT? I dunno…. maybe…. 😉

Case in point:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/12/12/11-anti-gay-preachers-who-got-caught-doing-very-gay-things/

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I don’t like the whole “avoid the appearance of being evil” line. It’s horse poop (but you know I mean s**t). Who cares? When you “avoid the appearance of being evil” you become all the people that passed by the man who was robbed. You are anything but the Good Samaritan. 

Just be good. Do good. That is what Jesus taught. Help others. Love others. Love the Lord they God with all thy heart. Second, love your neighbor. 

There is nothing in the scriptures about avoiding the appearance of evil (ok, maybe Thessalonians, but many believe that is a mistranslation). Quit worrying about what others think about you and just do good. Get better. Be a better person today than you were yesterday. 

You won’t be judged on what you did. You will be judged on the intentions behind your actions. You will be judged on what you became. I don’t think many in my Church realize that. My Church has become a Church of jumping through hoops and checking off lists. 

“I can’t go to a bar because someone might see me and they might think that I am drinking and they might tell someone and that would be so embarrassing.”

vs

“I’m going to go support my nonmember friends and family and love them the way that Jesus taught”

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

You should go down to Happy Valley and preach that from the street corners.

Or maybe Temple Square.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Interesting blog post, on the first page of Google Searching for “appearance of evil LDS”

http://liberalmormonthatcould.blogspot.com/2009/01/avoiding-appearance-of-evil-is-stupid.html

Anonymous
      Inactive

This whole discussion is full of irony. 

1 1

Toopup
      Ute Fan
      @njute

Thanks for letting me know I have a problem accepting people who are different.

Nice broad brush with which you are painting.

Riot West
        Ute Fan
        @riotwest

Don’t feel good does it? *cough* Prop 8

Viewing 5 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics Why do members of the Church struggle so much with people that are different?