Why not go all-out Stanford on offense?

Viewing 5 reply threads

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I’m by no means a football genius, but I have watched a lot of it over the years. Every year about this time I wonder (like most of us), what our real offensive identity is? We say that we’re a run-first team, that we run to open up the passing game (specifically play-action). But we also incorporate some spread offense mechanics into our gameplan, which are largely unsuccessful. Blame it on the QB, the receivers, whoever. I think it’s pretty clear that it doesn’t work very well.

So why not go all-out Stanford? By that I mean, why not bring in extra linemen/blocking TEs and commit to running the ball with a stable of running backs. This year might not have been the best example, given our rash of injuries in the backfield, but splitting carries between 2-3 healthy RBs and a physical line with extra blockers seems right up Whitt’s alley. If you succeed, you can manage the game, run the clock and rest your defense. Yet, I can’t recall a time when we’ve ever tried this approach, please correct me if I’m wrong.

I like Coach Harding, I think he’s done a very good job for our O-Line. Why not play to our strengths, throw some more bodies up front and let our RBs go to work? It probably won’t do well for recruiting in the skill positions, but do we really have that much talent there currently? In recent history, have we had lights-out talent at WR/QB to work with? I’d argue that we haven’t. But we do have big bodies, and good RBs.

Anyway, this was just a thought that crossed my mind today. I could be totally off-base. But I’d appreciate some input from people here, who likely know more than I do.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Utah needs Norm Chow and needs him yesterday.  

AUtahManSir
        Ute Fan
        @autahmansir

I thought everyone on the team hated Norm Chow and he was a pompous jerk when he was here.  Am I remembering it wrong?

Yes he is a smart OC.  But life is too short to spend long days with an $%hole.

Anonymous
          Inactive

I think that was the douche from Wyoming who came with Harding. Can’t remember his name but the slogan after he left was “All in or in the way”. I heard all of the players respected the hell out of Chow. 

Daedalus
        Ute Fan
        @daedalus

Norm Chow is 70.  They needed him a few years ago, but, eh, not now.

Utah man forever
        Ute Fan
        @uman

I Agee 100%. Chow has the ability to manufacture  an offense with the talent that is available. He has a knack of keeping the defense on its heels because he is not predictable, and I think Whitt trusts him to run the O without help. He also recognizes talented players, and plays to their strengths.

Daedalus
          Ute Fan
          @daedalus

Chow is also as old as my parents who are already retired. Leave him alone.

So who’s the spiritual successor of Chow?

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Isn’t Chow retired and relaxing in Hawai’i? I wouldn’t give that up to come OC here.

Anonymous
      Inactive

According to Bill Reilly, Norm Chow was a low energy guy who lacked the requisite work ethic. Often fell asleep in meetings. Norm Chow is not walking through that door. He done.

They should go after Lane Kiffin.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

No way Kiffin is leaving Bama to make a lateral move to Utah. If anything, Orgeron is picking him up to run the offense at LSU.

Side note: I wish we had picked Orgeron to run our defense when he left U$C.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

I don’t know but IMO we were are most dynamic offensively when we ran variations of Urban Myers spread/zone-option read type offense in 03/04 & 08/09. Perhaps the major difference is Alex Smith and Brian Johnson are not here nor coming from what we can see

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

I wouldn’t mind this except it would take a few years to overhaul our offense (again) and I doubt we as fans would be very patient with it.  Stanford runs a pro zone blocking scheme which is very different from our zone/read option scheme.  Stanford’s OLine all reaches one direction while we pull our linemen in different directions.  The other big issue is our QBs on roster and the QBs we’re recruiting are all read option types so going to a pro set offense would limit what they could do.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Why not go all-out Stanford on offense?