Will we benefit from PAC12 officiating this week?

Viewing 7 reply threads

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

We’ve long seen that PAC12 refs will call games in favor of the team that most benefits the conference (remember 3 blocks in the back vs. Washington when the conference really needed them to win?). In the CCG, a Utah win definitely benefits the conference most. Do we expect to see the refs tilt the game in our favor so the PAC12 can maybe get a team in the playoff?

I hate it when refs job a game, but maybe I’d put that hatred aside for this one.

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

They did Utah no favors in the USC game or last night. Don’t expect to suddenly feel like they’re on our side.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

The USC and last night’s game both benefitted USC if we lost. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Reverse conspiracy theory?

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Probably about as much as we had them favor last week, meaning we will have to overcome some questionable calls.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I keep hearing that it will be a MWC crew?  I think that is what last year’s game was. 

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

BleedsRedUte
      Ute Fan
      @bleedsredute

I like to think most refs are honestly trying to do their jobs the best they can. But I remember in the old basketball days of being happy to see “Moose” Stubing was refereeing a Ute basketball game. I really believed that Stubing liked the “U” and would make a favorable call sometime during the game that would benefit our guys.

I am going to think positive, and figure that the refs will call the game consistently, and assume that the Utes get their share of beneficial calls.
      Go Utes!

2 1

UTUTE
        Ute Fan
        @utute

“I like to think most refs are honestly trying to do their jobs the best they can.”

I agree.  Unfortunately, best the Pac-12 officiating can do is very J.V.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

I think it was Moose that gave Kelvin Upshaw the game deciding flagrant technical against Utah State back in the early 80s.

astUTE
      Ute Fan
      @astute

I neither want nor expect Utah to receive any preferential treatment for the upcoming game.  We win fairly, we lose fairly, nothing else.

And, if that sentiment, is the reason for the 6 down votes for the previous post, fine – I’ll pile on.

However, the portion of the previous post I support, is the premise that ‘PAC12 refs will call games in favor of the team that most benefits the conference’.

I refer back to the same example of the 3 blocks in the back (which I witnessed from the stadium live) and I’ll also remind everyone of the view into the system that was later provided when Woodie Dixon overruled the targeting call that EVERYONE in the world saw and recognized, and the PAC-12 leadership DEFENDED.

Perhaps the ‘3 blocks’ was a simple case of human error.  But I suspect there was not a single (sighted) person in the arena that day (including the commentators – go back and listen) that would agree with that premise.  I cannot obviously speak for everyone – but please, respond if you were there and did not see ANY block in the back – including WA fans!

The Woodie Dixon affair, is even worse, as it gave us a view into the system where something other than the ‘officials view’, or an ‘official review of the video’, led to the decision.

In what world does that NOT cause reasonable people to wonder about what instructions are provided to officials by their employers prior to the game?

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

I for one want to see a hard fought game between the best 2 teams in the conference where the officials let them play big-boy football and have a light hand on the contest.  Call the important infractions, but not the picky picky stuff.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Will we benefit from PAC12 officiating this week?