With Gach’s 28 points last night, Chinngiskhaan should STFU going forward….

Viewing 5 reply threads
      11 1

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

with his over the top criticism of Gach and simultaneously wanting Lazar Stefanovic to get all Gach’s minutes. Genghis Khan’s man crush, Lazar Stefanovic, had 4 points on 12 FG attempts, a down night you could say. Quote “Gach is maybe the dumbst basketball player I’ve ever seen in a college game. Very very rarely makes the right play…..Battin is to athletecism as Gach is to basketball intelligence.” LINK  You know what making the right play looks like? Putting the ball in the damn basket and Gach has a high ceiling for that skill and we should allow some player development with Smith and Gach without jumping off a cliff on down nights. Gach has been with HC Smith a few games, right? I’m one that will allow for the cream to rise to the top without slamming players into the dirt the first few games.

In summary, Chinngiskhaan: STFU!!!

Too bad Dusan Mahoricic, Anthony, and Carlson were out last night. Those 3 are Utah’s best rebounders and Utah got out rebounded 51 to 32. 

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Hang on… let me grab my popcorn.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I’m not saying nobody is open to criticism, Gach has a ton of upside improvement capacity, but when Genghis Khan is saying guy’s that are starters and or major contributors shouldn’t be on our roster it rubs me the wrong way.

1 8

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Gach is good enough to start compared to our other guys that are healthy right now… I don’t see anywhere where I said Gach shouldn’t be on our roster (I remember reading something like that on here, not sure if I said it or not tbh). Like I said in my last comment, potential has never been the issue with Gach, it’s realizing that potential that is the problem. For a guy to be as inconsistent as he has been (do you recall him going zero for what was it… thirty something?) throughout his career he pretty much has to either struggle mentally/emotionally while on the court… or he doesn’t practice like he should. I’m not claiming he’s lazy or stupid or anything of the sort… Some guys just have a tendency to be headcases on the court when things don’t go their way. Other guys just play their sport because it’s a means to a free education, and they have higher priorities during their free time (which is fine). I don’t know which one of those he is, but he most likely falls into one of those two categories… and I’ll be shocked if that changes.

I always have and always will admit when I am wrong. In the case of Both Gach, I have not been proven wrong. Not even close. Statistically his turnovers are down, and that is because he is handling the ball less than he did under our previous coach. With Smith’s offense, Gach doesn’t get to dribble around wildly with the ball looking for a driving lane. He gets the ball, drives/shoots or passes pretty much immediately.

As it currently stands, having played two quality teams and a host of garbage ones, his stats are slightly better than they were in 2019. My guess is his averages will go down as our SOS average decreases.

We’ll see what happens. If he HAS indeed improved I will happily admit I am wrong.

Rick
            Ute Fan
            @utebiquitous

I may be weighing in where I’m not welcome but I’ve had some discussions about Gach with Jimmy Soto and Josh Grant. During his first two years, both noted his athleticism but expressed significant frustration with knowing how to play. I argued with them that the previous staff didn’t work enough on skill development, including “how to play” as a skill.

I’m seeing a stronger commitment to development with this staff so hopefully it plays out with Gach. We may be seeing it already. I’ve noted the same thing as Khaan. Gach seems to be making decisions quicker. One thing I’d love to see he and the coaches work on is running through the catch, something NBA players are implementing more and more. It’s a skill that makes slower players much more effective getting by defenders and into the paint; and faster, quicker players become impossible to guard. 

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Gach’s improved decision making may be a result of the offensive scheme change instituted by Smith more than anything else.

Of course, it doesn’t really matter why he has maybe (only 5-6 games against mostly terrible competition) improved. Better is better, I don’t much care why.

The skill you mention would be outstanding for him if he had more than two gears (doing little to nothing, or driving out of control).

If Gach can learn to prob his way to the key and hit a floater that would be huge.

3 8

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I never said Lazar should get Gach’s minutes. That is incorrect. Gach is and always will be woefully inconsistent. He should not be starting on a team as historically good as Utah’s. Yes he had a good night. Yes, he’s had many good nights in the past. When Gach is on (which if we are lucky is about a third of the time) he shows his potential, which I never claimed he didn’t have. He’s still the same player he’s always been. Scoring 28 points in a game we had zero chance winning doesn’t change anything I said, nor does it prove me wrong. Hitting open shots doesn’t make you a basketball genius. Even hitting contested ones doesn’t prove a thing about basketball IQ. Scoring is great, and he can do it in bunches once or twice in a blue moon, but one outlier performance does not prove me wrong.

I can’t wait for you to misrepresent my opinion again going forward.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

im hoping, with the right direction (coaching), he can be shown a lot of things he did last night that are things he can absolutely repeat. Obviously not talking about the points he scored…shots wont always fall.

When he attacks, he can cause a defense to collapse/rotate. the impetus for scoring points in the sport. Beat your man and stress the defense. FORCE ROTATIONS. Just do that, good things will happen. Gach is fast as hell and can do that 10x a game if he wants. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Where does this rivalry between the two of you come from?

richute
        Ute Fan
        @richute

Also this reminds me, what ever happened to pace manyung or whatever that guys name was?

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Pace was booted a while back. He’ll pop back up every now and then with a new name and then proceed to say something that he shouldn’t and get banned again. Haven’t seen him in a while though.

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

He was booted, then changed his username, and got booted again… and I’m pretty sure Pace Manyung wasn’t his first username either.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I don’t know. I don’t have a problem with whoever this guy is… but he apparently has a problem with me. Whatever. Doesn’t bother me.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Fight fight fight!

Keep it civil guys…we’re all Ute fans!

Go Utes…Beat the freaking Quack!!

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

lazars defense leaves a lot to be desired….if this team is winning it will be with a defensive identity. ill have to watch gach more on that end because everything about his physical tools say he SHOULD be a great defender. Ill admit i havent evaluated him on that yet.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) With Gach’s 28 points last night, Chinngiskhaan should STFU going forward….