With this Hire at OC we become an Air Raid Offense

Viewing 5 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

Check Eastern Washington’s stats, they’re lucky to rush for 100 yards a game.  No air raid offense has won the PAC 12.  I hope Mr. Taylor adjusts his offense to succeed in the PAC 12 because we probably do not have the players to make his system work.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I suspect it will be kind of a hybrid. I expect big things from Shyne this year.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Check Eastern Washington’s game log. Lot of passing yards. Like 400+ per game. Rushing yards typically ranged from 76 to 150 yards a game. There was one high of 225 some yards. Just about all their games were close, like all within one score. I guess we’re already used to that. Oh and their best rusher was typically the QB. That ain’t going to happen in the PAC 12, because the QB will not last long. I just don’t see a lot of value in an offense that puts up 400 passing and 100 rushing yards a game. Defense will wear out quickly.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Whitt’s 4 pillar philosophy will still apply

1- Great Defense 2- Ball Control 3- Red Zone Scoring 4- Great Special Teams.

The O-line was attrocious pass blocking, I don’t expect a full on air rade style offense the first year. Better routes, better play calling, but still a ball control, run first mentality with a more efficient passing game. 

quagmire
          Ute Fan
          @quagmire

So do you mean the offense keeping the ball, putting up yards and points will wear out the defense quicker than three and outs? 

Ute Bc
          Ute Fan
          @utebc

Not sure his offense is that different than what we had when Urban was here. 

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

How much of that was due to an over-emphasis on the passing game, and how much of that was due to an OL and running backs that were more tailored to blocking for the passing game? Maybe their talent didn’t suit.

As you say, modifications will need to be made. The beauty of it all is that he’ll be able to bring the best out of the personnel we have for passing, whereas previously the only part of the offense that was improving/maintaining was the run game.

We’ve still got our OL coach. We’ve still got a great receivers coach. If we get a decent RB coach, I think we’ll be deadly on the ground and in the air. It’s not like these passing game recruits we bring in aren’t skilled. The missing piece has been a QB coach and an OC that will be innovative in the passing game.

I don’t think that will nullify how good we already are in the running game. I think it will open things up – for both the air and the ground attacks.

UtahSig
      Ute Fan
      @utahsig

Also, if you look at pass/rush ratio it was about 55/45 in favor of passing. Not that far out of whack from where Utah wants to be.

I think if he calls close to the same ratio of pass/run at Utah we will see much better rushing numbers.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

A little bit on Troy Taylor.  Prior to Eastern Washington he coached at Flosom High and designed the system Browning ran there.  That system produced 91 touchdowns and over 16000 yards passing.  The connection is that while at Flosom he coached Kyle’s nephews.  The Folsom system is generally a one back system, but I expect we will see some adaptation to match the available personnel.  I like this hire more and more as we move forward.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Yeah but you need to realize that Browning had two top drawer receivers while at Folsom.  He also has  some pretty good receivers at UW.  Utah will have to seriously upgrade their receivers to make it work.

I have a good friend who lives in Rocklin and he followed Browning closely while he was at Folsom and now UW and he’s a CU grad. His mother is in the Skiing Hall of Fame.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Nm

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

It will look like what cal does. Air focus but still a considerable effort to run

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

Guys, can you imagine our offense looking like Cal’s but with a better running attack, coupled with the traditional more-than-stout Utah defense?

Just let that sink in for a minute.

Riot West
          Ute Fan
          @riotwest

It will be like when Happy Gilmore learned to putt!

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Utah learned how to throw. Uh oh.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

That sounds a lot like Clemson…

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football With this Hire at OC we become an Air Raid Offense