Would you favor taking Coach Sitake back if he’s fired from BYU?

• Next Weber State – Thu 8/30 6pm – Pac12 TV
      3 14

Jim Fassel Fan
      Ute Fan
      @jimfasselfan

There’s no doubt most of us thought Coach Sitake was one of the best assistant coaches in the PAC12 while he was here. 

If he’s available, do we him back? The third down defense last year under Scalley was atrocious, despite a very talented defense. 3rd and Scalley scares me. 

Johnny80
      Ute Fan
      @johnny80

No. Seeing what he did at Oregon State and what he is currently doing at byu leads me to believe that it was Whitt’s defense the whole time. K.S. maybe got to tweak it here or there but it really was Whittingham scheme. And for those who say he is a good recruiter I ask you this: where did BYU’s last 2 recruiting classes rank? 

2 10

Jim Fassel Fan
        Ute Fan
        @jimfasselfan

What’s up with 3rd and Scalley? You don’t think Sitake would be a better play caller than Scalley? We had a better defense under Sitake. 

IglooDweller
        Ute Fan
        @igloodweller

No.

7 1

Distantute
      Ute Fan
      @distantute

No. Sitake is awful. 

2 6

Jim Fassel Fan
        Ute Fan
        @jimfasselfan

I didn’t hear anyone saying this while Sitake’s D led the nation in sacks. 

5 2

Johnny80
          Ute Fan
          @johnny80

Once again,  see my first post. It was Whitt’s defense the whole time. 

2 7

Jim Fassel Fan
            Ute Fan
            @jimfasselfan

So why has our defense been awful on 3rd down if it’s all Whittingham? To me it seems like Scalley doesn’t play call as well as Sitake or Pease. 

Johnny80
              Ute Fan
              @johnny80

My thoughts on that is remember how the you would always hear stories about how Whitt would totally micromanage his O.C., D.C., position coaches, etc..I think over the years he has learned to let up and trust his staff. Troy Taylor offense was a perfect example of that last year. Not always the best decisions on Troy part but you could tell he was the guy running it.

ironman1315
              Ute Fan
              @ironman1315

Last year it was 56th in the nation. 4th in the pac 12, I think. Sitake was 47th and 4th.

UtMtBiker
              Ute Fan
              @utmtbiker

LB play. Our LBs have been s**t in recent years. I don’t want to call out names but here are a couple that should be playing p5.  We’ve tried going the jr. college route but it just hasn’t panned out.  The move of Hansen to LB could help and by all accounts Brian Pirtle is the real deal but he needs a year. 

I’m hopeful Donovan Thompsan has figured it out because he’s shown flashes but was too inconsistant.  

darklightning
          Ute Fan
          @darklightning

That was Pease’s D. Not Sitaki’s 

1 5

Jim Fassel Fan
            Ute Fan
            @jimfasselfan

No, it was Sitake’s defense that led the nation in sacks, you’re wrong. Let’s see your source. 

3 3

Jim Fassel Fan
        Ute Fan
        @jimfasselfan

BYU trying to be independent is awful. I believe any coach would fail at BYU, they have nothing to play for. Oregon State is a dead end too. I believe Sitake’s defense at the U is a better barometer of him as a coach. 

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

Sitake was highly over rated. I was shocked when BYU offered him the gig with no head coaching experiance.  I guess that says more about the desperation of the program than him but he didn’t go anything. Has a defensive assistant ever not been successful under Whittingham? 

fosternano
            Ute Fan
            @fosternano

Sitake was more of a backup plan for BYU since they were banking on the Navy head coach being interested. When he shut them down they needed an LDS coach that was decent….hence sitake. 

Also with whitt and Anderson being at the U I don’t think there would be a place for sitake right now. 

BattleGroundUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Whitt nearly took the job said every dumbass ever. 

11 1

BattleGroundUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Pease was instantly better than Sitake. Scalley has also grown into things and I like him more than Sitake. 2018 could be the best ever in Utah history. 

2 16

Pace Manyung
        Ute Fan
        @a2ute

Scalley a yes man and the weak link of the coaching staff.

I believe Scalley is also the last of the mid major/ mountain west coaches on staff – kwhitt has a soft spot for him…

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Because having one of the best defenses in the pac 12 makes him a weak link.

BattleGroundUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

He recruits really well has an eye for hidden talent to. Roderick was pretty good at recruiting to other than that I can’t think of what else he was good at. Scalley definitely has blended Pease into his defense. I still believe it is Whitts defense so I am never concerned with who exactly coaches on that side of the ball. It is more about guys who fit with Whitts identity. If you want to call them yes men go ahead and do so. Shah was a f**king lawyer before he got hired for hell’s sake. Guy is outstanding and our DBs somehow got BETTER. Scalley is a stud but he eventually needs to branch out get more experience other than Whitt. 

COFfrom83
              Ute Fan
              @coffrom83

Shah was not just a lawyer, but a low-life, blood-sucking, ambulance chasing lawyer, the very lowest of the low. glad to see he wised up and left that disreputable profession.

5 1

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Pease was the goat of the P12 era but he also had Paul and Norris in the middle, a motivated Lowell Moko and Stevie T. up front, with Carter and Williams in the middle to cover up any mistakes.

I think you are looking back on the Sitake regime with crimson colored glasses because from where I was sitting in the stadium 3rd and Sitake was just as frightening if not more than 3rd and Scalley.  2012 and 2013 were an exercise in putting teams in 3rd and 8 only to watch them convert (Hello Brandon Cooks!).  In 2014, the Defensive calls on 3rd and long became so predictible that if the blitz didn’t get home P12 qb’s would find the open reciever.  I literally could set my watch by when the corner blitz was coming.  The saving grace in 2014 was the off the charts run defense and Orchard and Dimmick winning matchups.

By Utah standards the Defense could not stop the run last season and that was indicitive to the overall lul.  3rd and Scalley last year was a combination of things on all levels of the defense and most were not a schematic issue.  The “very talented defense” was correct in principle but did not bear out in practice.  The biggest issue I saw was the combination of inexperience in the secondary (Marcus Williams erased a lot of mistakes) and the lack of a pass rush (Lowell and Moko disappeared and who exactly played opposite of Anae?).  The lack of speed at the linebacker spot was glaring, Kavika and Sunia were not a 1/3 of the backers as Norris and Paul and it showed on the edges against good teams.  My best guess is things will rebound this season with the more seasoned secondary and improved D-end play but I still have real concerns about the backers even with Chase in the box.      

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Why take back Sitake when you already have Gary Anderson on staff?

BattleGroundUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

This is ultimately the most obvious reason to it all Sitake needs to branch out after he is fired. 

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Sitake had absolutely no ability to adjust his gameplan.

There was a game against WSU I remember where they got us with the same play to their tight end in the middle of the field over and over and over… and Sitake didn’t even attempt to have that guy covered.

There was a game or two against ASU like that as well. The team was getting beat by the same plays repeatedly, and Sitake failed to adjust. 

I don’t think he was a bad defensive coordinator, but he isn’t better than Scalley, and Scalley is learning.

Ute1998
      Ute Fan
      @ute1998

Hell no!

TheJuggernaut
      Ute Fan
      @thejuggernaut

Our defensive rankings trended downward during Sitake’s time as D Coordinator, especially his last two years:
      Total D Scoring D
      2009 23 19
      2010 24 27
      2011 19 38
      2012 49 36
      2013 73 61
      2014 61 74

Add to that his tantrum which lead to him leaving for Oregon St and my answer is no, I would not bring him back in any capacity, ever.

TheJuggernaut
        Ute Fan
        @thejuggernaut

Look what we’ve done on D since he left:
        Total D Scoring D
        2015 41 31
        2016 53 38
        2017 32 42

He’s a tool and a crappy coach to boot, he can go elsewhere after BYU cans him this December. Maybe if he’s lucky he can stay on at BYU as a member of Coach Roderick’s staff.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Nope.  Watching him flounder and fail at Oregon State, and blame their players for the problems because ‘I can’t dumb down this defense any more than it already is!’ when he knew he was being filmed, was proof enough that he can’t build a monster D without Whitt.

Gary Andersen is an improvement in every possible way over Kalani.  And I really like Kalani.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ute Fan Board Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Would you favor taking Coach Sitake back if he’s fired from BYU?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Puget Ute 2 days, 20 hours ago.