WSU’s DeLaura in the portal

Viewing 4 reply threads

rydub
      Ute Fan
      @rydub

WSU’s DeLaura is in the transfer portal, my guess is he pulls in a million or two. This is my biggest concern about the NIL deals, stars at a smaller P5 will put there name on the open market and the big boy P5’s will pay for play. 

Just think how much Rising could pull in on the open market, luckily he has used his transfer year and I think he loves it here but imagine If you’re a QB or LB who may not be the NFL prototype, now would be their best time to cash in. Think Gione Paul size 

I don’t blame the players cuz I played the game too and know one wrong hit ruins careers all the time. Not sure how to fix this now that the cats out of the bag. 

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Man, crazy times coming to college football. Don’t blame any of them one bit. Window of opportunity is very small and does not last long with all the risk. The way it’s playing out this is not going to end well for college football.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Imagine this hypothetical: your conference foe  has a good team but is without a decent QB. Conference foe booster makes contact with your QB and discusses NIL. You don’t have that QB under contract and now he can leave on a whim. 

3 3

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

And I believe the NIL system could work, but you have an already corrupt organization in the NCAA trying to oversee this with little to no regulation. And as you mention, this is no fault of the student athlete. 

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

It’s not the student athletes’ fault.  College athletics lost its soul a long time ago.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

OU is a big boy program to and Caleb Williams left. It is already out of control. 

DeLaura leaving is good for Utah just made 2022 easier as long as he stays off Utah’s schedule.  

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

Maybe, Cooper might actaully get a shot now the previous coach’s hand picked qb is out.

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

He was in the portal too.

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

At this point it is difficult to keep track.

6 3

prestitute
      Ute Fan
      @prestitute

I don’t think it is broken. Kids should be able to make the money that people think they are worth. It is honestly weird to me how so many people who claim to love free markets don’t want to let that apply to young men and women who are putting their bodies at risk for our entertainment.

The NCAA had lots of chances to get kids decent pay and a system they could be happy with, but they decided to s**t on the kids instead. Now, it will be up to t3ams to make sure the kids are happy. Frankly, the money stuff has been going on anyway, it is just now out in the open and the amounts are higher.

2 2

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

This is 100% correct. It’s absolutely ridiculous to whine about people getting paid what someone thinks they are worth. If it screws up your favorite college football team, too bad. Your fun shouldn’t be had at the expense of someone else’s rights.

To be perfectly honest, I would much prefer if the entire world of college sports was abolished and we just went to a club system like they use in europe. The clubs can pay for the schooling of their players that choose to go to college somewhere (and they need to qualify for admission into the college all on there own) if they see fit to do so.

The fact that professional athletes are paid as much as they are is incredibly sad in my opinion… but sad or not, they are worth what they are worth. 

Compensating elite players with nothing more than a bachelors degree a raw deal for those players. Bachelor degrees are essentially worthless these days, and the types of degrees these guys have the time to actually pursue while in college have always been and will always be completely worthless.

Pay them what they are worth, if that eventually results in the team no longer being affiliated with the University of Utah, that’s fine by me. Absolutely no reason for colleges to have sports teams anyway. People that hold onto the idea of college sponsored sports teams are just as bad as the people who hold on to the tradition of bowl games. There is absolutely no logical reason for things to be the way they are… It is 100% based in tradition/nostalgia and greed. Thats it. No other reason.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Who said I claim to love free markets?  It is clear unbridled free market economies can be very dangerous and exploit just as many if not more people. 

I have and always will be for abolishing the NCAA.

I have and always will be for the college kids making money. One single player on a team doesn’t risk his body anymore than some scrub on the scout team. That is what I am against and always will be. I would prefer a governing body at each school that regulates the money to every player. Expand it for non schollie players as well. So yeah a high profile player like a Caleb Williams brings more money in for the club to benefit the entire team. Also move it to healthcare and assisting these kids with lifelong injuries they sustain playing this game. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football WSU’s DeLaura in the portal