WTF… I can’t believe what I’m reading here

Viewing 7 reply threads
      9 6

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2021/09/16/nick-ford-weighs-utahs/

I seriously can’t believe it. Ford bitching about lack of experience… and then using it as an excuse as to why the DIDNT EVEN TRY to adjust to BYU’s defensive scheme???? What in the actual hell? IDGAF how many games you’ve started in D1 football, YOU’VE BEEN PLAYING FOOTBALL YOUR WHOLE GD LIFE!! 

If he is right, and several of the offensive linemen don’t know how to make adjustments to who they are blocking when someone on defense does what a defender often does and changes their position on the field relative to the offensive line… WHY are they PLAYING?!

Perhaps more importantly, how in the hell have they not been taught how to make adjustments, and why is Hardings solution to their lack of knowledge/experience just, “oh well, they don’t know how to adjust so I guess we just won’t adjust when we play BYU.”

Is there anyone out there that is still going to try and defend our defensive line? Injuries you say? Why can’t those guys learn how to make adjustments regarding blocking assignments from simply watching film? I don’t care how crippled those guys were, they can walk through a simulation of a game situation and learn how to make pre snap adjustments to blocking assignments. If that isn’t being done then Harding needs to be fired immediately.

Then Ford goes on to say it was too loud to make adjustments? BAHAHAHAHAHA. He said he couldn’t yell them out loud enough for the others to hear them. So that’s all it takes to make an offensive line suck ballsack? Just have the fans yell really loud?

SMH!

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

https://media.giphy.com/media/TUT53OJkk2UtG/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zdoy7ph950o0dm80zxh7guvj9m8jva3dtqw9brxb&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

6 1

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

You seem very angry.

Maybe getting outside and going for a walk would help.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I didn’t read it the same way you did.

I do agree we have a problem with the line and it needs to be fixed.  At some point after years of ineptitude with a position group – you do need to look at the position coach IMO.  But, what the heck do I know?  Probably not much.  I also think that BYU had a creative defensive plan and we were not prepared.

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

Helton is available .. He can take Harding’s job for all I care

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

It is very troubling to read that the line cannot make adjustments – that they just have to live with the original call, even if they know it is likely to fail. Not suprising to read that, because it is consistent with what we witnessed against TDS…but disappointing that the players/coaches are unable to respond and adjust better. Future opponents must be salivating over the idea of playing against a team that is unable to make adjustments.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Nick Ford’s comments dovetail with my comments yesterday.  I could see in Provo the offense, not just the OL, could not adjust when the Y came out of their base D.  I could see that we were asking for it when we did not adjust.  I could see communication issues and hear that voice communication has no possibility to work.  When he said they would just go with what was called because adjustment was not possible, it confirmed my sadness. 

Ron McBride once laid out fault like this:  If the HC and coordinators had not talked about the specific issue and given the position coaches a solution for when this comes up do this, it is his fault.  If told what to do, the position coaches had not drilled the specifid issue enough to count on the solution, it is their fault.  If the players have been drilled and had it working in practice but failed to execute in a game, it is their fault.  Using Ron’s review process, I suspect the problem lays much closer to the top than to the bottom, given what I saw.  I saw confussion and inability to adjust, not failure to execute a known assignment.

I also tried in my comments to revisit 2007 and 2008 where my old mine seemed to remember we moved from too predicitable with Ludwig to awesome and no one can stop us.  If I am wrong tell me, but I think Whitt and Ludwig gave Brian Johnson the keys to change plays.  We need to know who is best suited to do that, Brewer or Rising and get him going in practice ASAP with change the play to adjust to the D drills.  With the two games this year on tape, even teams that do not stunt and run blitz will now give us their best rendition of what they have seen from the Y.  Until we punish this defense out of position, we will be facing it a majority of the time.  If this is all they do this week, that would be best.

Utebeam
        Ute Fan
        @utebeam

If your analysis is anywhere close to acurate, and I have not reason to think that it’s not, we are in serious trouble.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

It was like the world was upside down. On my way out of the stadium I thought I saw a shirtless Charlton Heston being chased down the street by an ape on a horse. That kind of night.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

I guess the good news is that BYU was the only game this year where excessive crowd noise is likely to be an issue.  Our remaining away games:

–  SDSU

–  USC

–  Oregon St.

–  Stanford

–  Arizona

Not exactly a murders row of rowdy fanbases there.  Maybe USC, if they’re not already apathetic by then.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

Oregon State does do that weird chainsaw noise thing on 3rd down or whatever

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Nick Ford plays o-line, why are you mentioning defensive line?

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Simple autocorrect issue on my phone. Nice of you to point out an obvious typo instead of actually addressing the topic at hand. I understand why you wouldn’t address it though, since you were so obviously wrong.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football WTF… I can’t believe what I’m reading here