Big boy football

Viewing 2 reply threads

Great1Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tribute

I might be missing something, but it seems like there is a pretty sizable part of our fan base that is disappointed with how close our win was on Saturday night. I heard grumbling from fans walking out of RES. I’ve seen posts and tweets on social media talking about how the game should not have been that close.

I think the reason for some of the discontent is the failure, still after five years, of some of our fans to realize how different things are in the PAC-12 from the MWC. There are no Wyomings, or UNLVs in this conference. Every team has great facilities. Every team has the budget to hire very good coaches. Every team recruits the best players in the country. And, every single team can beat any other team on any given day. Just look at our wins (USC, Oregon, UCLA, Stanford) and our losses (WSU, OSU, Colo) over the past five years.

When I talk to my friends in the South, none of them have even an ounce of discontent over getting a close win. Look at some of Alabama’s wins last year (Ole Miss by 6, Arkansas by 1, LSU by 7 in OT, Miss St. by 5, Auburn by 11). Do you think Bama fans grumbled about any of those wins? Look at some of Florida State’s wins last year (Oklahoma State by 6, Clemson by 6 in OT, Notre Dame by 4, Miami by 4, Boston College by 3, Florida by 5, Georgia Tech by 2).

Winning and losing close games is our new reality. This is big boy football folks. A six point win over an undefeated team is a blow-out. We have to come ready to play every single game (yes, even against OSU and Colo). Every win is a gift to be appreciated.

Go Utes!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

My only grumbling from the Cal game is the lack of a vertical passing game, except for the one TD on the post to Byrd.

A win is a win.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I agree Tony. The protection was there I wish we tried that a few more times.

Fans grumble in every fan base. I feel it is legitimate and Whitt sure as hell isn’t satisfied with scoring 17 points off of six turnovers. The Utah defense does its damn job the offense needs to feed off that energy. Cal has a better defense than Oregon but Utah failed to execute at key times offensively.

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

I won’t grumble over wins, and I agree a 6 point win against a previously undefeated Cal that is a match-up nightmare for us should be enjoyed.

I did grumble over how we failed to capitalize on the turnovers. I think most folks would say a 6 turnover game with a +3 turnover margin especially where many of them with close proximity to the goal-line should not have been so close. Maybe I’m totally wrong. I’ll bet coach pointed that out.

I am very proud of how hard this team works. I love how these guys play so hard and all I have to do is enjoy it. It’s a great day to be a Ute, but it would be insane to not wish the offense could have made more with all the defense handed them.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Big boy football