Worst case bowl game scenario

Viewing 6 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

WSU wins out, including against Washington.
      Colorado wins out, including against Utah.
      Washington wins every game except WSU.
      Utah wins out except against Colorado.

WSU or Colorado win the Pac-12 Championship.
      Winner to Rose Bowl.

Washington and the Pac-12 Championship loser get the next two bowls.

Utah at this point is in serious trouble for bowl game selection. We’d have three conference losses. and end the year 9-3. Where would we go?

Luckily we still control our destiny, and if Washington wins out we get the Rose Bowl win or lose the P12 Championship game.

This other scenario???? I hope does not come into play. Best case we and Washington meet in the P12 Championship. Yeah, that’s what’s going to happen. PLEASE!!!!!

EUte
      Ute Fan
      @eute

Not sure exactly what you mean by “serious trouble” for selection.  Under your scenario I think we’d logically be in the FF or Sun Bowl.  But last year showed us logic does not apply, so we could end up in the Cactus or Vegas.  Maybe that’s what you’re saying.

Now, if you’re talking about us getting paired with the TDS again, that seems highly unlikely given the regular season matchup and their bowl affiliation.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

So worst case scenario Colorado vs Washington St. in the PAC12 title game for the sake of argument I’ll say Colorado wins

1. Rose Bowl – Colorado
      2. Alamo Bowl – Washington St.
      3. Holiday Bowl – Washington
      4. Foster Farms Bowl – By virtue of a better conference record this should be Utah unless Stanford wins out and they finish tied with Utah at 6-3. I’m sure the FF bowl would take the local team here for attendance reasons
      5. Sun Bowl – I think this is where Utah lands in this worst case scenario
      6. Las Vegas Bowl – USC
      7. Cactus Bowl – Cal or ASU if they can get to 6 wins

Utah took one for the team last bowl season playing BYU in Vegas so hopefully the team (Larry Scott) will stand up and fight for Utah this bowl season as payback.

So much football left to be played Utah could reasonably end up in any bowl 1-5 but I think it’s no worse then the Sun Bowl Dec 30th in El Paso

I’m not worried about USC finishing 6-3 and in a tie with Utah because SC still has to play at Washington on 11/12 so they will have 4 conference loses.

Of course this is all moot if Utah loses to ASU or Oregon then they are looking at the Cactus Bowl vs a
      Big 12 team as I don’t know if Utah would want to go to Vegas for the 3rd year in a row vs. a MWC team

So my worse case scenario is Utah loses their last 3 games finishes the season 7-5 and ends up as some fill in team somewhere like the independence Bowl

FWIW after yesterday SBNation.com and CBSsports.com still project Utah in the Rose Bowl vs. Urban and OSU

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Don’t WSU and Colorado have to play each other, so they both can’t win out.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

If we win the next two (which isn’t a sure thing), I would say Alamo if Washington goes to the playoff, or Holiday if not. If we drop one or both of those two then sun or Vegas.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

There’s still a ton of football left to be played, but honestly the Pac12 is going to be lucky to have enough teams to fill all of their assigned bowl games, unless 5-7 teams go bowling again this year.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

The PAC-12 has 7 bowl tie ins, 8 if we get in the playoff. 4 teams are already bowl eligible, 3 more need one more win. Three teams will be eliminated with one more loss. So the PAC-12 should have enough teams to fulfill the tie ins and maybe an extra one or two.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Worst case bowl game scenario