Wilner not drinking the Utah Kool-Aid

Viewing 6 reply threads

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Hard to disagree with him if you look at our Utes pragmatically. Seeing that he has us losing at Cal hit way too close to home.

The issue with Utah is quarterback play. (I know: Stop the presses!) Everything else about the roster is upper-tier at the Pac-12 level and has been for several seasons. But the QBs? Still feels a little Mountain West-ish, to be honest.

Will it be any different this season with transfer Troy Williams at the controls?

The Utes haven’t earned anyone’s faith in this regard. We’re not going to assume Williams is good enough, week in and week out to make the plays that alter the course of division races.

I think the Utes are headed down the same path we’ve seen in the past:

Strong start, well coached, good running game, sound at the line of scrimmage … but not quite capable of finishing strong.

Pac-12 football: Utah game-by-game predictions for 2016

Anonymous
      Inactive

I wouldn’t fault the players for that more like offensive play calling that becomes easy for PAC12 teams to scheme for.  Or is it as most people say?  The coaches make the calls based on their players abilities so they are doing the best with what they have?

cbmute
      Ute Fan
      @cbmute

I dont like saying this but I agree with what he said. I have the I’ve got to see something from the QB position before I’ll believe it. I have more hope this year, but certainly I have my reservations.

And I really don’t think we will know much about the QB until usc, unless Williams plays really bad before that point.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

I dunno, I just checked last year and he had us at 5th in the Pac-12. We will have to see though.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I think the optimism from certain pundits has me more worried than bullish pundits.  Didn’t Cowherd say Utah will win the South?

Wilson’s Mustache
          Ute Fan
          @sigmaute

Cowherd has Utah winning the Pac-12 & #10 in the country.

Anonymous
            Inactive

Kiss of death usually from that guy. Ending the year at #10? Or currently tenth?

UtahSig
      Ute Fan
      @utahsig

I don’t see us losing to CU or Cal (we beat them last year and they lost a #1 draft pick QB) but I think he makes a pretty good case otherwise.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

CU scares me every year. They’ve come very close to beating us (and did so in 2011) every year since we got in.

They’re getting a bit better every year too. Still, some of my friends act like we’ve blown them out every year and we don’t hardly have to show up to beat them. I don’t get it.

KiYi-Ute
          Ute Fan
          @kiyi-ute

I agree. CU plays us very tough every year. That squad definitely has heart. It may just develop into a small rivalry eventually.

Anonymous
      Inactive

As much as he’s discounting Utah due to QB play, he gives Oregon the nod on a road win when they’re fielding an FCS graduate transfer at QB?

Agree that UCLA will probably be the game that decides it, but it will be like every year where every game matters.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

he probably gets a lot more clicks in Oregon and is pandering

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wonder how Wilner is feeling now about his prediction that Cal will beat Utah? I mean that Cal defense looked stout.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Wilner not drinking the Utah Kool-Aid