A few thoughts on the QB situations for Utah and BYU

Viewing 3 reply threads

Red Dawn
      Ute Fan
      @ranger15

The recent decision made by Utah’s coaches to go with Huntley was definitely a surprise to most of us. Whittingham obviously has a hell of a lot more confidence in Taylor than he’s had in any coordinator since Chow. There was a legitimate QB competition and the younger guy won. I’m sure they knew what a sh#tstorm this would be with some fans and media but they pulled the trigger. 

Conversely, BYU (fans, coaches, and media) anointed Mangum the quarterback when Hill left without any competition. Now that he’s looking VERY average (poor), they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The backups have no experience, but may be better. 

Basically, they buy into the hype every year and lock on to one guy, leaving the backups unprepared. Whit has evolved to keep all the guys ready and keep competition alive. This tells me that coaching experience is invaluable when dealing with fans and media about expectations.

In short: We’ve only had one game, but I’m confident our coaches have a plan and have learned from their experience. 

6 1

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

Good points. And I will count myself among those who were slightly terrified by the decision to go with Huntley. Happy to eat crow after watching him in RES last Thursday.

Taylor obviously knows how to evaluate QB talent.
      10 2

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

Huntley is night and day different from spring ball to fall camp.   Watching him he plays with pose and confidence. He isn’t trying to force things.  He’s playing smart football.  

I suspect he will thrive in this offense 

8 2

shakeitsugaree
        Ute Fan
        @shakeitsugaree

Kinda off topic, buuuut . . .

I find the ‘downvote’ concept to be fascinating. Two people ‘downvoted’ this comment – what on earth could they possibly see here that would warrant a ‘thumbs down?’ Unless, they have some really strange personal dislike for the poster, so they ‘downvote’ every post made by this individual? Or, they’re trolling?
        Anyhow, I just think this little insight into the sociology of the somewhat anonymous internet is really interesting.

Oh, and I agree that Huntley is playing with a maturity that I honestly don’t know that I’ve seen from any of our QBs for quite some time. Pretty amazing what a QB coach who actually knows what he’s doing can do for a player!

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Yes there’s a pattern here where every post by PorterRockwell gets 2 thumbs down and ladyinred gets one. Always, regardless of whether or not their posts seem to deserve it. 

PorterRockwell
            Ute Fan
            @porterrockwell

Well I figure they are just hate ole Porter Rockwell and that’s ok. I know I’m.an acquired taste.  It’s all good 

Basketball Junkie
          Ute Fan
          @basketballjunkie

I’m sorry but the devil made me do it…. to U

shakeitsugaree
          Ute Fan
          @shakeitsugaree

Haha! Now I’m getting downvoted – awesome

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

I think Mangum is actually a decent qb. The problem is he has no support or talent around him. None.

1 2

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

I’d agree with decent. He doesn’t have anyone around him his freshman year he had some tell decent receivers that could snag those 50/50 jump balls and Hail Mary.  This year not so much so 

they don’t want to admit it but they descending into irrelevant status.  It won’t be much longer before they are a body bag game for LSU Alabama USC et al 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A few thoughts on the QB situations for Utah and BYU