Alex’s “timing”

Viewing 2 reply threads
      3 2

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

Can’t say as I blame Alex. He’s having a hell of a run with the Jazz as a potential #1 seed in the West this year and a real NBA title contender.

Now I hope the talk of Bryant is real and he ends up leading the Utes.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

The average NBA coach is 3.7 years in an article I found from 2019. It was an SB nation article that was using the past decade as an example that included Sloan and Poppavich. The article was trying to say the NBA is improving on retention.
      Then I found a Hoops Hype article that paints a much different story. NBA has the highest turnover among professional coaches for the past 20 years.

20-year study: Coaches in NBA have highest turnover among major leagues

Interesting thing to note for Jazz fans was Igor Kokoskov was among those fired in 2019. After one year in Sacramento he went Turkey this past season. Suns are not complaining either as he couldn’t control the locker room I heard.

Now I hope Alex Jensen has success in all his endeavors but it sure feels like he turned down at least 10 years or more of guaranteed stability.

But I am even more aware of the fact that my desires to have him coach the Utes is skewing my view on the matter. I am just trying to rationalize it slightly.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

There’s no guarantee he would have lasted 10 years at Utah. You can talk all the stats you want on hiring and firing coaches, in his mind, he’s going to be one of the few like Popovic, Sloan and soon to be Snyder. These guys have to believe they’re that good. If he goes into it thinking he could possibly bet fired after a year, well he’s probably right and we wouldn’t want him coaching the Utes anyway.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

For the sake of fairness I wanted to look up retention levels in the NCAA D1 ranks. Haven’t found anything other than it is a very volatile market.

Interesting article from CBS naming Bryant as the leading candidate. I gotta say as I have said many times: I wouldn’t be upset if he is hired and Harlan definitely nailed it.

CBS Link 03/11/2021

Older SI article

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

“Blame Alex” for what? Did he turn the gig down?

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

He did indeed.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Thanks. Hadn’t seen anything.  Been away from any media for a few hours.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Alex’s “timing”