Anybody here left Facebook for a significant period of time?

Viewing 16 reply threads

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

With all the crap going on, I have disabled my Facebook account.

This is scary for me for a couple of reasons:
      1. I’m in a band. Facebook is our best way of getting the word out to our fans, and I’m the one that maintains the page. I’ve turned it over to the other guys in the band, but I’m not confident anything will be kept up.
      2. I’m a DJ. Once again, most people get word from my Facebook posts. I may create a very low-key, anonymous-type login just to admin the two pages I run for my DJ brands. Or I may let my girlfriend run them. I don’t know.
      3. I have a lot of international friends, and Facebook has been a great way to keep up on them.

So far… it’s weird.
      I feel like there’s this huge river flowing by me, and I don’t have my foot in it. I’m not part of the “current”.
      But that’s kind of peaceful, actually.
      I went to actual news web sites for my updates today. I didn’t just rely on shared articles in my feed, or articles that originated from me liking certain media outlets.
      The news and current information was delivered to me without opinion. That was just… refreshing.
      I feel like I’ve removed myself from the noise, and feel a bit more at peace.

Has anybody else disconnected from Facebook for a long period of time?

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I deleted my account about 3 years ago and don’t regret it at all.

GorillaMask
        Ute Fan
        @gorillamask

Deleted my account a few years back as well. Best decision I ever made. 

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Seems to me that FB would be more of a business necessity for you than just a source of information. If the band/DJ thing is your primary job, then it seems like that would be a bad move.

I’ve also had a bunch of connections that have rage quit over this election, and I find it kinda sad. These are people that I probably wouldn’t have any reason to stay in contact with otherwise (old HS friends, work colleagues from past jobs, etc.), but I have truly enjoyed being able to connect with and keep up with them through social media. Really bummed that they have unplugged entirely, as I doubt we will ever cross paths again. There may be some people who think the same of you…just something to think about.

I can’t see myself actually disconnecting, but am making the commitment to myself to stop (or at least severely limit) engaging in political discussions. That’s probably going to extend to other sites as well, with the exception of one or two that I know can engage civilly. I’ve found myself incredibly angry over the past week, and it doesn’t do anyone a bit of good.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Only way I get my sporting news. 

LiquidUte
      Ute Fan
      @liquidute

Yep. I uninstalled Facebook from my phone about a year ago after it kept sending me weird push notifications asking, “Do you know _____?”

I tried to disable it, but every couple hours my phone would vibrate, I’d have to stop what I was doing and fish the phone out of my pocked only to see this notification asking about someone I had never heard of. Very annoying.

So I got rid of it, and I honestly havent missed it at all. Facebook makes you feel like everyone in the world is doing awesome things all the time and you aren’t. It makes most people feel that way I think. I still have the account and I could access it via desktop if I ever wanted to, but I never do. Only weird thing is when people tell me how cute that picture of my kids is (that my wife posted) and I’m like, “Oh? I haven’t seen it.” 😀

I prefer twitter now. Much more annonymus and to the point. If someone starts posting political crap or whatever it is I don’t want to see – delete. Easy enough.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’ve been a heavy FB user.  I’m growing quite tired of it as well, but also use it to communicate for my websites and promotion.  I’m envious and would love to pull the plug on it.  I’ve done maybe 3-4 days.

What instrument do you play? What kind of music?

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Music and DJing are not my primary jobs, but they are paying hobbies. And I do have roughly 1,000 people that follow what I do somewhat closely between my various projects.

In the band I actively play in now, I am the lead singer and bassist for a power trio (I get to pretend I’m the Geddy Lee of the group). We are an eclectic rock cover band that plays stuff from the last 5 decades or so. Here is the band Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/dirtyoldmenslc

In the past I’ve also handled keyboard or drums duties for various projects.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Incidentally, if you remember a few years ago when there was a band that played on Chris’s Pirate Ship during the tailgate before the USC game, then you’ve seen me play.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

As a follow up…

This is heavenly.
      People I’ve told have all said they were thinking of doing the same thing, ironically.
      Suddenly I’m not near as distracted, and a lot more “present”. Does that make sense? Without seeming too “new age”-y?
      Kind of nice. 🙂

St George Ute
      Ute Fan
      @stgeorgeute

I’m cutting off Facebook starting today. I’ve been trying to do it for awhile, but just find I open it up without thinking about it. It’s become instinctive. I recently bought that Disney Circle device and am using it to disconnect myself from Facebook. I’m turning it off, so not only can I not access it in a web browser, but I can no longer use it on my phone. It’s still on for everyone else though. Just off for me. I’m hoping I will be much more productive with my time now that I’m disconnecting.

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

Good heavens, dude, you’re productive enough. 😉

St George Ute
          Ute Fan
          @stgeorgeute

Haha! I wish! 🙂 Feels like I’ve been stuck in a rut since graduation. Time to expand my horizons, starting with a 750 page book on security analysis that I’ve been meaning to read for some time. I might even go back and reread some of our old textbooks…at least the ones I still have.

I bet I’ll even spend more time on here. 🙂

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Haha @leftyjace do you remember a drummer sitting in with you on the pirate ship? That was me.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Really?? I don’t recall. But then again I was kind of drunk if I recall correctly. 🙂

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Is/was Spence your drummer?

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

He was. I don’t work with him anymore.
      Do you know him?

UtahSig
      Ute Fan
      @utahsig

Yeah, I quit FB a few years ago and really haven’t missed it after about the first week, where I would try to check it on my phone when I was board.

I feel like I actually connect more with my friends instead of just feeling like I am connected because I saw what they posted on line. I make an effort now to call or go to lunch with the people I really enjoy. The rest have just kind of fallen out and that is fine.

I hear what you are saying about feeling like a river is rushing by you and you aren’t connected with it, but I really think that is an illusion and it is kind of a barrier to real, enjoyable connections.

I use twitter for news and sports, I have IG to share photos of my kids with my parents a very few, select friends (seriously, I have like 30 followers on IG). I check IG maybe every other day, I check twitter maybe once a day, but have it open during Utah games.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

UtahSig, it is so interesting to hear you say that about connections, etc. I’ve been feeling the same thing, and it’s only been a couple of days. Crazy.

I’m enjoying this so much that I don’t even want to do Twitter and Instagram. The people I want to share pics with i can text them or email them to, and vice versa. If I come visit this site I get my fill of sports news because I’m really down to the Utes right now.

Still loving this. I don’t feel near as scattered and distracted. I was incredibly productive at work today. Go figure.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I was his first drum teacher @leftyjace

I jumped onboard the pirate ship and played a few tunes.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Nice!!! I seem to recall that.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Anybody here left Facebook for a significant period of time?