BEST CASE SCENARIO

Viewing 5 reply threads
      1 9

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

MERGE WITH THE MWC AND CALL IT “THE MOUNTAIN PAC -6”. WHAT YOU’ALL THINK?

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

It’s the most realistic and most likely scenario, but this would be the second to worst possible scenario, only surpassed by going independent.

Best scenarios:
      1) B1G – Not happening
      2) BigXII – looking less and less likely
      3) Pac merges with ACC leftovers when they implode, also very unlikely.

PhillyUte
        Ute Fan
        @phillyute

If scenario 2 is less likely then we really screwed up.

Roy Rangum
        Ute Fan
        @royrangum

Why is Big12 unlikely? That still seems the most likely to me.

1 1

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

There’s no incentive or pressure for the BigXII to invite us now. They can sit on 14 and wait to see who becomes available when the ACC implodes.

Roy Rangum
            Ute Fan
            @royrangum

True, but in my opinion that would be making the same mistake the PAC12 did several years ago when Oklahoma / Texas left. We could have killed the Big12 back then, but didn’t, and they came back.

You leave 6 pac12 teams together (that include cal and Stanford), and it might be those schools that pick up / merge with the ACC when they blow up (academics are a big deal to a lot of ACC schools), and in turn they would become a rival conference that threatens the Big12.

I’m not saying that is the most likely outcome, but if I were the Big12, I would kill off the pac12 for good right now by taking all of the 4 corner schools.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

You make a good point, but in that scenario, from the ACC perspective, would those schools rather join an established BigXII with a lucrative TV deal (compared to what the Pac leftovers will have) or risk partnering with Pac schools in hopes of a good TV deal?

Obviously, TV contracts would be worked out in advance, but if the top dogs in the ACC leave for the B1G & SEC, the leftovers will probably prefer a sure thing (BigXII dollars) over a risky (and expensive) cross-country partnership with the Pac.

1 4

Caliman
          Ute Fan
          @elguapoute

BIG 12 IS TRYING TO PLAY HARD TO GET BECAUSE UTAH HATED THE IDEA OF JOINING THE B12. NOW THAT UA,AZ.ST OREGON, AND UW ARE LEAVING, UTAH HAS NO CHOICE BUT THE B12. SO THEY’RE TRYING TO GET UTAH AT A DISCOUNT.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I like Elon Musk’s theory on things like this. The most “entertaining” outcome will be the one that happens. SO which one is that?

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I would think a B1G invite would be most entertaining, or maybe a Pac & ACC merger that resulted in a deal in the neighborhood of what the B1G & SEC are getting.

ryynoo
      Ute Fan
      @ryynoo

How about a scenario where the rest of the pac grabs the top schools in the Mountain West. That might be slightly better than the Pac/MWC merger. But less preferable to the Big12, which I think is still likely.

WasatchRanger
      Ute Fan
      @luke8675

Seems like Big-12 is most likely at this point.

1 3

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

UTAH WOULD WIN THE MWC CHAMPIONSHIP EVERY YEAR WHICH MEANS THEY’D BE IN THE PLAY OFFS EVERY YEAR. WIN, WIN FOR UTAH LETS GO.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 BEST CASE SCENARIO