Burn the boats

Viewing 2 reply threads
      5 1

AgouraUte
      @agouraute

The past 24 hours of watching football have confirmed to me our offense is a dumpster fire.

After Vikings landed their boat on some distance land and as they departed to fight the local inhabitants, the leader would have the crew burn their own boat on the shore. Then they went into battle with the image of their burning boat at their back.

The burning of their ship clearly made the point that the only possible way home was to win the battle. It reinforced their own level of commitment.

What is the Utes equivalent of burning the boats? My thoughts…..

1. Bench Huntley and start Shelley

2. Have Gary Anderson run the offense and make Troy Taylor his assistant

3. Fire Whittingham at the end of the season 

Do you think we are at a burn the boats moment?

6 1

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

No. The problems aren’t big. They’re little mistakes. The biggest problems with the the problems is that there are a lot of little things. But these little things can be fixed.

jrj84105
        Ute Fan
        @jrj84105

A single big issue would be easier to fix or gameplan around than myriad small ones.

1 2

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Yeah a lot of little things should not be a problem during the season. I have no idea how this wasn’t identified in in fall camp. 

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Maybe they’re good in practice but get the yips in games.

2 1

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Not necessarily.

Small issue 1: running. Feed moss. Easy fix.

Small issue 2: Drops. WRs caught everything in camp. They have the skill. They just need to get out of their own heads.

Fix those two things and we are in business.

The biggest issue is Huntley and his decision making. And that is big. But, I’m not sure what the solution is. Is it benching Huntley? Maybe. But I don’t watch tape and spend all day with these guys so I can’t say for sure if a benching is the solution.

2 1

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Taylor had that problem with Moss last season. Huntley seemingly likes to take carries away from him. We haven’t seen practice but how do we know they didn’t drop s**t?

1 2

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Yes to number 3.  Five years to late, but yes

AgouraUte
        @agouraute

He can’t get us to the next level. We are the Indiana of the PAC 12

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Are you willing to turn into Nebraska of ICLA. It’s a gamble that you’re facing when you suggest firing Whitt. What will you do if Utah fires Whitt and Utah turns into 1980s Utah?

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

How many years in a row have you said that about Utah football and defended Whitt’s failed offensive intelligence?  

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

A few. But, again, you can’t just focus on one side of the ball. The question we need to ask is how willing are we to fire a coach that is good but not great and risk turning Utah into something worse all for the hope to get something better.

The answer isn’t as simple as fire Whitt. The second component is to fire Whitt and have someone ready to go. I would prefer a great G5 coach that has a defensive identity similar to Utah and a power offense. But are there any coaches out there like that available that won’t break the budget IDK.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

We all have seen 09/15/2018 so many years in a row now it is sickening. Utah had chances but something is in the way. We want to say starting qb, the OC, execution, the Wideouts, lack of identity, depth on and on. The constant through all of this? The head coach, time for a change after you have changed all of the other things. 

ironman1315
                Ute Fan
                @ironman1315

Ok. Who you gonna get? I’m not asking for a specific person per se. But I must ask who you would prefer in terms of style and how to find that guy. Because the problem with the fire Whitt refrain is that we go into a gray area where we have three options 1) stay the same; 2) improve; 3) get worse.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Not Whitt easy answer. Change is needed. Washington was some horse s**t dude when you could have won. Watch Oregon with Herbert. 

ironman1315
                    Ute Fan
                    @ironman1315

Do we have a Herbert?

I agree that Washington was garbage. But, again, how much are you willing to risk. Wjat should Utah do if we pick the wrong coach? What coach available and in budget out there could take this team to the next level?

EagleMountainUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @battlegroundute

What are you risking? Preseason hype like a Zoob and then having your hopes kicked in the nuts?

2 1

ironman1315
                        Ute Fan
                        @ironman1315

We risk becoming Oregon state. Which is much more likely to happen than us becoming Clemson.

1 3

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

WE ALREADY ARE OREGON ST!!!  

ironman1315
                        Ute Fan
                        @ironman1315

So we’ve been 1-11, 4-8, and 2-10 in the last 3 years. That’s news to me.

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

Haven’t won the north. Who cares about record if you haven’t done that. 

Meanwhile look at what beating Wvu did for Utah in a meaningless bowl game last season. WVU killing it. 

ironman1315
                        Ute Fan
                        @ironman1315

Because there’s a significant difference between being a good team and being a dumpster fire. But if you are willing to risk running Whitt out and go back to being the 80s version of the Utes in the hopes we overachieve our station then be my guest.

ironman1315
                    Ute Fan
                    @ironman1315

And in case you’re wondering, I agree that Whitt isn’t going to get us to the next level. But I’m willing to wait a year or three to get the a great coach that will stay here rather than get stuck with some schlub.

EagleMountainUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @battlegroundute

Great coach vs unknown vs nut punch pain?

Odds on all of them suck. Utah defense won’t go away so fast. I guess the new transfer rules can be risky. But if you are Tuttle and Shelly watching this s**t offense be trudged out there while you earned the backup spot?  Why not transfer as well?  It is not without risks but I am sick of these same shoulda won offensive turd losses. 

ironman1315
                        Ute Fan
                        @ironman1315

Why stay of the guys that recruited you left if you’re Tuttle and Shelly?

User Suspended
              @a2ute

Go hard after Mike Leach.  Utah is a better job.

ironman1315
                Ute Fan
                @ironman1315

Does that system fit with Utah’s recruiting profile? I’m not certain it does. We need to find a guy with a power system.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Burn the boats