Family outings to beat the isolation (The JRT)

Viewing 2 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

My wife and I and 4 kids have rode (ridden?) most sections of the Jordan River Trail in Salt Lake County this spring. It is so liberating to get out during the quarantine and cover a bunch of ground on a bike. The JRT is very flat and family friendly. There’s hardly a bad spot, most of it is beautiful and much of it is shaded. We have done Rose Park to the international peace gardens on 9th south and back (I did conceal carry in my backpack for this section, but there were families and upstanding looking citizens along the trail). We did 900 s (at internationals peace gardens) to 2100 south and back another day – gorgeous. We did 2600 s to 4800 s another day, again, gorgeous. We did 5300 s to 7800 s and Gardner Village on a Sunday, ate a packed lunch and rode back. We rode 10200 s to 12300 s and back another day…seemed to be the safest area along with 12300 s to 14600 s. – this section was cool because there’s a monument to the different Native American tribes throughout the state, we ate a lunch at a picnic table at 14600 s and then rode back. My soon to be 3 year old has made it on every trip with her tag along / copilot bike that has a bar that attaches to the back of my seat bar. Our family doesn’t have really nice high end bikes but are decent low end hybrid’s, the brands are Marin, Giant, Specialized, Bridgestone, a Walmart kids bike, etc. We always ride up river first, and riding down river there is almost always a little head wind. The bike is so great on the JRT because you can cover so much more ground and see more areas. Anyway, I had second thoughts about sharing our family secret but I know how liberating it has been for us to get out and enjoy some time outside so I wanted to share.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Amen. Thank you for posting this message!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I live next to the trail in Sandy.  I bike it all the time.  I usually do about 20-25 miles.  It’s a nice trail and no motorized vehicles allowed.  The problem with the trail is the crowds of BONEHEADS who don’t know what frigging lane to be in.  Wednesday I locked up both tires on my mountain bike TWO times because parents weren’t watching their kids and one time because an old dude overshot a turn and came right at me in my lane.  SO when out on this trail, keep your eyes open and stay in the right lane except to pass!

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Yeah with the kids we cant go as far but pulling the tag along bike with a kid who doesn’t peddle adds to the workout, plus I’m carrying water, food and bike repair supplies for the whole family in my maxpedition backpack. The southern end of the valley has more kids and also more high speed bikers IMO. The northern end of the valley is a little shady sometimes but very enjoyable with less traffic. My kids are savvy to the lame rules at 15, 13, 9 years old and then the young one who is almost 3. Most everyone gets a kick of my daughter on the copilot bike with here bleach blonde hair and piggy helmet.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Yeah there are some parts of the trail that I wouldn’t consider “safe.” Seen many a crackie and drug deals going down. If I go south from my house it is much more wide open and less crowded. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Family outings to beat the isolation (The JRT)