Geaux Utes

Viewing 6 reply threads

TigerUte
      Ute Fan
      @tigerute

Hello, Ute Fans.  I am a New Orleans resident and life long avid LSU fan.  My wife owns a condo in Park City and over the last few years, it has been my privilege to visit the beautiful State of Utah many times.  We love the time that we are able to spend there and go as often as we can.  As a college football fan and lover of Utah, I have become a developing Ute fan.  By very good fortune, we are going to be in Park City the weekend of the Utah – Arizona game and have purchased tickets for the game (LSU plays Florida that day at Florida very early in the morning so we can catch both games).  We are very excited about attending the game.  I was hoping that one of you could give us some advice about pre-game activities such as best tailgating places and other sites that a first time visitor should see.  I would also appreciate any information that you can give me as to Ute traditions that we will see that night.

Let me also say that I loved the Ute victory over USC last week and I LOVED the Ute beat-down of Alabama here in the Sugar Bowl.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing you at the game!

UGLI baby
      Ute Fan
      @uglibaby

As an LSU fan, you’ve experienced the best tailgaiting there is. Probably nothing can compare to that, but I think the Utes have some of the best tailgaiting in the PAC 12, so you should still have a great time! I’m living in CA and won’t make it to the game, but make sure you end up at the tailgaiting lot off Guardsman Way. That is where all the RV’s and dedicated tailgaiters are, with tv setups and all of that.

I’m sure there are at least a few people on this board with tailgaiting spots in that lot that will take you under their wing! Have fun!!

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Our very own Tony @admin who runs this board has a spot at the Guardsman Way tailgate lot. The lot is a lot of fun, you’ll enjoy it – even though, as UGLI says, it won’t compare to what you’re used to.

One of the fun traditions is the Ute Walk, which also goes right close to the tailgate lot. Players walk from the practice facility to the Stadium about 1.5 hours before kickoff. The way is lined with Ute fans cheering them on and giving high fives. In the stadium south olympic courtyard, within an hour of kickoff, the Ute marching band will sometimes play some songs. The drumline also will do some showing off with a few songs. It’s pretty fun.

During the game, there are a handful of traditions. One is the “Crazy Lady” dance, which happens usually during the tail end of halftime. The ROTC fires off cannon shots whenever Utah scores. There’s a big japanese drum spectacle between the 3rd and 4th quarters, and 4 cannon shots signifying entering the 4th quarter.

After the game, the team will always stay on the field and sing Utah Man with the MUSS as the Ute Band plays. And when we win, there’s also the “Light The U” activity where a player pushes down the plunger to start the block U flashing on the side of the mountain.

I’m sure others can fill in some other traditions and the like.

And let me just say – WELCOME! I hope you have a blast!!!!! It should be a good game!!!

bigredoso
      Ute Fan
      @bigredoso

Welcome to Ute Hub! Hopefully you enjoy your time at the game.

The biggest tailgating lot is east of the stadium in a large pay lot. I know that a lot of people also tailgate wherever they park (we do near the business building). Here’s the game day timeline sent for the BYU game (I’m not sure how similar it will be for AZ). Before the Ute Walk, the marching band and cheerleaders do a brief thing and lead the group over, I’d guess 30-45 min before the Ute Walk.

In terms of traditions, the most…interesting(?) thing is Red Thunder. I recommend plugging your ears when it finishes or there may be a ringing for a few minutes. Great food joint I recommend is The Pie (very popular). I expect a color coordinating of some sort, red out, we did the black out vs USC, checkered vs SUU. Anyone else think of any other traditions?  We do have a sweet TV and sound system FWIW.

Game Day Timeline:
      Guardsman and East Tailgate Lot – 6:00 AM
      Main Ticket office opens – 10:00 AM
      We recommend picking up Will Call tickets prior to Game Day to avoid long lines.
      Crimson Club Athletic Fund Lots – 12:30 PM
      Ute Walk – 3:00 PM
      Line up along 500 South and welcome the Utah Football team as they enter Rice-Eccles Stadium. The first 150 fans to show the promotional text (UtahFB to 53535) will receive a Utah Utes stick flag.
      Gates Open – 3:30 PM
      Player Guest Tickets – 3:30 PM
      Visiting Team Will Call – 3:30 PM
      Kickoff – 5:30 PM
      Ticket Office Closes – beginning of 2nd half

FormerUteSax
      Ute Fan
      @formerutesax

3rd down jump?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Welcome.  Some great stuff in this thread.  My tailgate is on the north end of row H #69 (yes yes).  That said, it’s not the most exciting tailgate on the lot.  A few older Ute fans.

One of our favorite traditions is just before the Ute Walk.  The BAND and CHEERLEADERS perform in the tailgate lot, right next to our tailgate.  Crazy Lady does her schtick there too.  Good times.

I strongly suggest just walking the rows of the tailgate to see all the crazies.  Stop by and say hello.

joefan
      Ute Fan
      @joefan

The students do a “3rd down jump” where we all jump around during opposing third downs. It looks pretty cool.

Warrior Ute
        Ute Fan
        @warriorute

Living out of state and having to watch too many games on TV. I enjoy watching how long it takes the cameramen to recognize this.  The video often becomes shaky during the 3rd down jump.  If you are in the concourse during this time the noise is pretty impressive.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.