Has anybody seen Star Trek: Beyond? Or going to go see it?

Viewing 3 reply threads

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

I’m going to see it tonight. I’m pretty darn pumped about it – looks great in the previews, and it’s got an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes.

And for the record, Zoe Saldana can beam me up anytime.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Really, that’s interesting. I am surprised by that. IN other places, not Ute related, I frequent it has been bashed pretty hard. Then again the people bashing it are pretty hardcore trekkies. Can you post a non-spoilerific review after you see it?

Dugway
        Ute Fan
        @dugway

I thought it was OK. Star Trek needs to understand that there is no more emotion left in destroying the Enterprise, it happens in every movie. Just like Star Wars needs to quit thinking that the perfect climax is blowing up a large sphere in space. Come up with SOMETHING original.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

It’s ok. Pales in comparison to the last one. By the end, I was kinda hoping the whole crew of the Enterprise–which, incidentally, is made up entirely of sexy twenty-somethings (seriously, not a single nerdy middle-aged rocket scientist in the bunch–go figure!)–would get blown up and die. Plus it would have looked pretty cool to see the bad guy unleash that bioweapon on the giant Perplexus sphere in space.

(Perplexus is a registered trademark of PlaSmart Incorporated. Look it up.)

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

OK, here’s my non-spoilerish review…

Full of action – maybe too much action.
      Not enough substance.
      Normally that would be OK if you were going to a movie just for the action. But historically, Star Trek is very much all about character development and substance.
      This movie just seemed… off… especially the last 3/4’s of it. It felt like what little character and plot development they tried to slip in here and there was shoehorned.
      ON a scale of 1 to 10, I’d probably give it a 6, mostly on the virtue of the cool effects, cinematography (which was so overloading sometimes that you could possibly get motion sick if you sit too close to the screen), and the fact that it’s Star Trek.
      But this movie has caused me as a Star Trek fan to lose a lot of faith in the current incarnation. The first two movies were a helluva lot better than this one on this timeline.
      Disappointing.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Has anybody seen Star Trek: Beyond? Or going to go see it?