Heard something odd on the Bill Riley show today about the four G5 schools

Viewing 4 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Today on the show Mac Engel made a comment along the lines of, “If the BigXII had known they could get ASU, U of A, Colorado, and Utah, they probably wouldn’t have invited UH, Cincinnati, UCF and BYU.”

My first thought was yeah, take that Cougs, but then I realized had they not taken those four schools we’re looking at a completely different scenario. But for them taking those four schools, the Pac poaches enough BigXII schools to stay together and the BigXII either falls apart or they are a much weaker P5 reacting. The fact they were proactive is a major factor in what made the Pac become irrelevant.

Had USC and UCLA left a year earlier and Texas/OU switched and left a year later, we’re looking at a Pac that survives, and UCF, BYU, Houston, Cincinnati along with possibly WVU, ISU are on the outside looking in instead of WSU, OSU, Cal and Stanford.

So I disagree the BigXII was not in a position to not invite the four G5 schools, and they are lucky they did.

I’ll miss the Pac, but not Larry Scott, GK, and to a certain degree USC/UCLA. Oregon and Washington get a pass in my mind, they were stuck looking out for their best interest, as were the four corner schools. Sad the Pac jacked this up so much.

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

Hopefully it’s used as a cautionary reminder. You can’t have terrible leadership over a conference, ignore the teams request for change, and not expect any repercussions. I feel very little pity for the pac 12. They did this to themselves.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

The Big XII was stabilized by adding the previous four. There is no doubt they’d be dead now if they hadn’t. And credit Yormark for getting the contract that had a pro rata clause for the next four P5 schools that jumped in. Yormark is 10x the commish that Scott and GK were.

Roy Rangum
        Ute Fan
        @royrangum

Yormark is talented and was certainly far more shrewd than Klavikoff, but I wouldn’t trust him either. While he wasn’t the first, second, or third reason the PAC collapsed, he still played an active part in destroying our old conference.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Okay, but he’s our commish now. Presumably he’ll act in our interest going forward. I’d rather him than GK, who turned out to be spectacularly ineffectual.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I picked up on that too and had the same reaction. Only had USC and UCLAeft before UT and OU, I think the PAC expands, but adds UH. It was rumored to be one of the schools the PAC was looking at when UT and OU bolted. My other guesses would be Kansas, TTU and either OK St. Or TCU depending on if they pass the Cal/furd academic requirements

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

So basically:

Mobile Ute Hub user submitted image

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 Heard something odd on the Bill Riley show today about the four G5 schools