Instant react to loss to Oregon

Viewing 6 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

So the game was pretty much loss when Oregon took that early lead. Utah could never overcome it.
      Taylor does not see the whole court and sometimes it felt like he doesn’t even look at Poeltl.
      Bonam? I just don’t get him at times when everyone stands around he goes into JUCO mode. Again doesn’t even look at Poeltl.
      Loveridge I really like him at times but holy hell he doesn’t want to put a body on anyone for a rebound. And he plays lazy.
      Kuzma looked like he had never shot a free throw in his life. He was missing short missing long. All over the place. Passing he couldn’t even pass to a player. They were short high low wide and outside.
      Poeltl I can’t really fault him some of his passes were slow though.

Full credit to Oregon, they had a great plan. The full court press they played was beauty and Utah had no answers. When Utah managed to get the ball up court they would get a good foul. Second half I felt if Utah pushed it a little they could get more guys in foul trouble.

Bad loss and terrible effort.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

My recap is a little shorter.

That sucked balls.

Anonymous
      Inactive

It feels like Chapman and Wright managed to get worst this season. At times last year I felt like man Utah is trending up with the talented youth on this team. Tucker is a defensive liability at times.

I think Utah needed to push it more against Oregon and make them play defense. Oregon has beat Utah four times? That isn’t as bad as the Arizona record I guess.

Officiating was like a tale of two halves they were heavy on the whistles in the first half. Then they swallowed them in the second half. I did listen to the post game and Coach talked about Poeltl hurting his ankle on Tuesday which explains why he seemed a little slower.

Much like the California game it felt like Utah was out coached which is disheartening.

On a personal note this was my first Huntsman attendance of the season. I had a blast. Sat with my five year old son. A friend kicked me some tickets on the fourteenth row. I did buy some stubhub tickets in the upper bowl for 20 bucks. I tried to get rid of them before the game but no one wanted any. Fans seemed pretty quiet and the MUSS was sort of meh. I don’t like white outs so I will blame it on that. My son doesn’t have a white Ute shirt and I only have an old one. I had lots of fun and when it comes to sports I really need to try and treat it that as a nice relaxing event to enjoy with my family.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

My 3-year-old was there too. The highlight of the game for us was polishing off the GIANT popcorn.

I don’t think Champan and Wright are the only ones who have seemingly declined this year. Taylor and Tucker, even Loveridge seem to be non-factors in pac-12 play.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The sad reality is that this team sorely misses Delon Wright. Delon made all those guys around him better, much better. Now all their weakness are being highlighted and brought to the forefront.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Unlike Delon, I don’t think Jakob is making anyone else better. In fact, I’m a little disappointed in Jakob relative to his hype.

I thought Jakob would be the guy this year. The NBA-bound guy who you can count on scoring 15-20 points, a few blocks and 10 boards. MINIMUM. He isn’t. He’s a good player, but he does not bring what Delon brought. He does not affect the team the way Delon did.

I’m willing to bet that if you were in a coma last year, and knew nothing about Jakob, watched one of our games, you’d be shocked if you were told that this guy is leaving early for the NBA.

Am I crazy? I just don’t see it. I’m much more of a football geek than basketball. I’m not comfortable trying to analyze basketball, but right now, Jakob ain’t no Delon and playing in the NBA next year is a joke.

Jakob should be carrying this team. Jakob should make Taylor look like John Stockton. Jakob should be playing two more years of college ball.

Edit: came back to add some state. Conference only stats look very bleak.

Scoring: overall #7 @ 16.4 conf only #27 @ 12 (tied with 5 others at #27)
      Rebounds: overall #5 @ 9.2 conf only #10 @ 7.8
      Field Goal Pct: overall #1 @ 65.4 conf only ?? no rank, somewhere less than 52.9
      Block Shots: overall #5 @ 1.9 conf only ?? no rank, somewhere less than 1.2

Anonymous
        Inactive

It feels like when Utah gets guys added to these watch lists they tend to crash and burn. Or at least not live up to that hype. Booker was a preseason Heisman guy but injuries and overall crappiness of the offense stopped him. Poeltl is added to the Wooden award and sort of fizzles.

Now to be fair Poeltl was injured this Tuesday. I felt like he would get open but Utah couldn’t do anything against the press. When the ball was advanced they didn’t even look at the paint. The whole game felt like Utah was running slow mo the drunk guy sitting in front of me felt it was slow.

I saw the gameplan but Utah needed to push the tempo and make Oregon pay a little for playing the press.

I also saw a few pick and rolls and they wouldn’t even look for Poeltl. Poeltl can’t dribble the ball up by himself so it was more scheme.
        As far as NBA prospect hell the NBA is all about hype Poeltl will be a top ten pick just on that alone and he would be stupid to not go professional right away. Injuries and such for big man get the rookie deal and be smart with your money you may never work again after you turn thirty.

Anonymous
        Inactive

This team is just disappointing. No one is stepping up. I’m losing interest in following them. Wondering if they even make the final 64?

Anonymous
          Inactive

I think barely NIT is what they look like.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Definitely not looking like a tournament team right now.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Instant react to loss to Oregon