Is BYU overachieving this year? Or catching teams in a down year?

Viewing 5 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Is BYU good this year? Is Sitake catching teams on a down year? Are they lucky?

So throwing out the game against BYU their opponents records are:
      Arizona 2-3 (W)
      Utah 4-1 (L)
      UCLA 2-3 (L)
      West Virginia 3-0 (L)
      Toledo 4-0 (W)
      Mich St 2-2 (W)
      Miss St 2-3 (W)

Overall their opponents records are 23-16, Utah, West Virginia and Toledo skew this. Toledo may be their best win.

By the end of the year I think all the teams they’ve played will trend down with more losses than they had half way through the season. I could see their opponents overall just a shade under 500. Miss St, Arizona, and Mich St probably won’t make a bowl game. Utah, Toledo, and West Virginia should make bowl games. And UCLA may make a bowl game. So their best win may be against Toledo.

I think they were kind of lucky to catch Mich St, and Miss St in down years. Arizona, always seems to lose games they should win. Worst loss, is to UCLA, strange to say.

pancakes
      Ute Fan
      @pancakes

Some of both. They’re playing pretty well, but yeah super lucky to play Mich St this year and not last year. Not sure what happened to Sparty. But they did catch Toledo and West Virginia on an up year. 

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Go Utes!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Moved to tds category.

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

Thanks, I try not to post in the TDS category too much, but last night wasn’t much else to talk about…

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Back in our pre-Pac12 days, when BYU mattered to me, it seems like their then record against BCS schools was rather poor especially compared to us and Navy. They’re P5 record is 3-3 so far this year and I would have never predicted that. Actually, I think their record against P5s since we left the MWC remained poor which makes their winning record against P5s so far rather surprising.

Without analyzing the hell out of it, which I’d rather not do, my impression is that they are overachieving. I think they are markedly under the 500 mark against BCS/P5 competition so being at 500 with a new coaching staff points towards overachieving.

For the record, I want BYU to fail because I want their corporate donor dollars and share of local media coverage funneled to Utah.

utahpunk
      Ute Fan
      @utahpunk

May be unpopular around here, but I think BYU is better than most people(myself included) thought before the season started. The fact is they have played hard, and have been in every game.

I have seen less cheap shots, and dirty play this year, and have instead seen a team of guys play their guts out.

Even though I hate their fans with a passion, I can’t watch the team play, and say they suck this year. 

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo Is BYU overachieving this year? Or catching teams in a down year?